Kettle Cleaning And Beer Taste

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lespaul

Reaction score
Hey,
So I made a munich lager about a month ago. Did a step mash and had really finely crushed grains like literally powder. Finished draining the kettle and there are now marks on the bottom:

Never had this in any batch i have done so far but I cant remove it. Soaked in napisan and boiling water several times, scrubbed with the scrubber pictured, used PBW... nothing, takes on a small portion each time but I cant get it off. Anyone got any ideas?

On another note, i have had a recent problem with the taste of my beers, probably the last 6 batches. They all seem to have this similar taste. It isn't a bad taste, but it isn't that nice either, definitely takes away from the crispness of the beer (still not sure how to describe it). I thought it was oxidation, but ive done everything I know to prevent oxidation and I didnt have the problem before. It wouldn't be infection but possibly something caused by the equipment im using?

about 6 batches ago I had started using Starsan, got a copper chiller which I connect to the water tank out the back (doesn't leak), switched to kegs (although im getting the same taste in the bottles).
If anyone is "qualified" im willing to send a couple of bottles of different beers so someone can give me some info. Other than that im stuck.

The two problems ive got is making beer unsatisfying and discouraging. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

What sort of burner are you using? It looks like a consistent pattern of circular ringmarks.
Wondering if burner type has something to do with it, and maybe creating hotspots where something is burning to the inside of keggle.

Do you BIAB or 2v/3v?

yeh its a mongolian burner... this was going to be the last brew before I went to 2 electric elements because the burner uses too much gas.
...Had to stuff up on the last brew before retirement!

also BIAB

I would suggest using a few inches of STRONG PBW solution, letting it soak for a loooong time (like a week) then hitting it hard with a green scrubby (and gloves)

I had a similar burnt on mark in one of my pots... i basically did the above, and just repeated it after each brew session, eventually got rid of it... but it did suck.

A while ago, I had a similar stain on my SS elements . I turned them on when the bag was down . That Bag had it's revenge by way of me doing unexpected sparging!

Have you added heat with the bag down?

Vinegar and Bicarb Soda. Add the bicarb, add some vinegar. Swoosh. It will fizz and foam up, wait until it fizzles. Swoosh. Tip. Then repeat but dont tip out the liquid. Then use a steel scourer and go nuts until it comes off.

Cheers, ill give it all a crack tomorrow if i have some time.

Anyone have any ideas on the taste im getting from all my beers?

When does the taste appear? After kegging or in fermenter? Could be related to mash PH, water composition, overcarbonation, hoses, or a number of other things. Need a bit more info. Sounds unlikely some stains in your brewpot could be related.

i would just hit it with some caustic/grill cleaner/bbq cleaner.would remove the copper tube.hot water and let in soak till the water cools off.would be wearing gloves and some safety glasses when using caustic in a well!!!!!!!!ventilated space.
Read directions well etc etc.and use caution.

what ever you scrub it with... make sure its SS.

If its not i can imbed bits of non stainless metal in the surface of the kettle base and this will form rust spots.

When does the taste appear? After kegging or in fermenter? Could be related to mash PH, water composition, overcarbonation, hoses, or a number of other things. Need a bit more info. Sounds unlikely some stains in your brewpot could be related.

It definitely isn't to do with the stain on the brewpot because it only appeared after the last batch.

Nahh definitely not the same yeast, all liquid though.

I might have to do some mini batches and just trial and error which equipment I use. Ill start with checking if this batch still has the same taste in the bottles, and if not ill do a batch without the copper coil.

Cheers

+1 for what Stux says, although I think a stainless scrubby will work a bit better.

what ever you scrub it with... make sure its SS.

If its not i can imbed bits of non stainless metal in the surface of the kettle base and this will form rust spots.
Err, it's always been my understanding that you NEVER scrub a stainless pot/kettle with a stainless scrubber.A scrubber suited for non-stick items only. :unsure:

haha well I started with the bicarb soda and vinegar, and nothing happened. I just made a strong PBW solution and used the stainless steel scrubber and it seems to be coming off slowly... if it stuffs the pot the situation isn't that much different to having the stains there. So not much to loose.

On the taste that im getting, is there anyway that I could get it from the solder I used to put the chiller together? or if I don't scrub the chiller before I use it am I going to get off flavours?

Ok before I clean the sheet out of this copper coil, am I going to damage it if I use the steel wool?

Ok before I clean the sheet out of this copper coil, am I going to damage it if I use the steel wool?
Pbw or nappisan should make ur copper chiller shine Like new. Last time I cleaned mt boiler with pbw I just left the chiller in the boiler as well. And voila (sp?), it was beautiful copper again. Kettle got most if gunk off. I'm not overly worried as I've never noticed any bad tastes.

Given that you have three problems its a good possibility that they are all related, the off flavour could easily be scorched wort, lets face it you are certainly scorching the wort if the bottom of the kettle is anything to go buy.
To get off really baked on wort the quickest might be a bit of wet and dry sandpaper, try 200-300 grit with a bit of water and it will come off in no time.
You also mentioned that you are using too much gas; putting the whole picture together it looks like you have too hot a fire under the kettle. Once you get to a boil you really can throttle the fire way down, even during heating its possible to apply too much heat and do harm (as well as waste lots of gas).
MHB

Cleaned the bottom of the pot...finally
so:
- changing to electric element (prevent scorching fingers crossed, although this is the first time i have had anything burnt on the bottom)
- clean the sheet out of the copper chiller
- will bring the salt additions back
- re-clean all my kegs

...the only other thing it could be is yeasties
Cheers for the help

Latest posts

Back