Kelp Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rackemup

Reaction score
Hi
When i was in Scottland recently i sampled this beer

kelpie.jpg

It is supposedly mashed with a certain variety of kelp which gives it a very unique flavour, nicer than you would think.
does anybody here have any experience brewing with kelp or anything from the ocean?

Cheers

If oysters and mussels can work - why the hell not kelp??

I've never brewed with a chick in bikinis... but where there's life there's hope.

We struck this green beer in Harbin, China. The beer is a basic wheat beer but with a seaweed extract added to give the colour. We could not pick any flavour though. Seemed to be very popular!

Wes

China_Oct_2005_050.jpg

wow, that looks nice
the kelpie was a very dark green, almost black if i remember correctly

cheers

If oysters and mussels can work - why the hell not kelp??

Yep Bellarine Brewery do a mussel stout. Cooked mussels placed in some sort of container and immersed in the wort for 20-40 minutes during Secondary from what I'm told.

Dunno what good such a short period of time would do but the Brewery claim it imparts some subtle saltiness. Also means they have to ask people if they're allergic to seafood before they serve it up.

Hopper.

yeah - they did exactly that at the Vic micro brewers showcase recently. You could maybe taste a little saltiness, kind of like you had a bit of salt on your lips after you've been to the beach and then you took a sip of a beer........ But I don't know if that would have been there if I hadn't known that it was supposed to be?? Could be all in the head.

That green stuff though.... no doubting that's there!!

Also Scottish beer made with heather Oz and James Drink to Britain Ep-3

Not sure it was a commercial available brew.

When I made homebrew wine used all kinds of weird shit like parsnips and carrots
takes too long to find out you made something toxic :icon_offtopic:

For anyone in Brisbane, noticed this beer in Nectar today if you want a try.

We struck this green beer in Harbin, China. The beer is a basic wheat beer but with a seaweed extract added to give the colour. We could not pick any flavour though. Seemed to be very popular!

Wes

How disgusting, looks like Kermit chunder

Latest posts

Back