Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banora brewer

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am thinking of selling my ps3 to set up a kegging system, is there much difference in carbonation between bottling and using kegs. Just after some general advice.
Thanks

Pitty - PS3 and beer on tap seem like a pretty good combo to me!

IMO kegs are fantastic - so much less trouble than bottles, and a LOT more flexible carbonation wise - beer can theoretically be ready to drink within hours of kegging. Also, I find the ability to dial-in carbonation invaluable - I made a stout recently which I ended up carbonating a lot more aggressively that I normally would in an attemprt to give it a mit more lift, and cut through it's thickness.

Go for it!

Nah not yet, postage is being a PITA, If you want it though I'll get something a little closer to home.

I find kegs are easier than bottles. It's like filling one big can.

I know some people don't mind bottling though. Horses for courses.

Kegs are much much better!

Heaps easier, less worry (they dont explode under any circustances), heaps more fun, and you will instantly become more popular with your friends and aquinances.

They aren't cheap tho... even if you buy just a cheap version you keep spening more and more on it till its your "ideal" set up.

When you say 'difference in carbonation', do you mean differences between how you carbonate the beer, or differences in the taste?

Obviously, carbonating can be the same or different. You can choose to bulk prime (although the amount of priming sugar is reduced), although most people find it easier to force carbonate in the keg. This either involves connecting the keg up to serving pressure for around a week and leaving it, or do a search for the Ross method. Or do a combo of the two.

As far as taste, I find that kegs force carbonated have a tighter head, with finer bubbles than bottles carbonated. Especially when comparing to carbonation drops. Not sure why this is.

When you say 'difference in carbonation', do you mean differences between how you carbonate the beer, or differences in the taste?

Obviously, carbonating can be the same or different. You can choose to bulk prime (although the amount of priming sugar is reduced), although most people find it easier to force carbonate in the keg. This either involves connecting the keg up to serving pressure for around a week and leaving it, or do a search for the Ross method. Or do a combo of the two.

As far as taste, I find that kegs force carbonated have a tighter head, with finer bubbles than bottles carbonated. Especially when comparing to carbonation drops. Not sure why this is.
I made a brown ale and I thought it was to bubbly I used the drops, I was aiming for a tooheys old style so
I thought with kegs you could carbonate to the wright level

Yep, far more control with kegs. If overcarbonated, you can vent some of the excess and drop it back down. Same can be done with bottles, but its more of a PITA.

Yep, far more control with kegs. If overcarbonated, you can vent some of the excess and drop it back down. Same can be done with bottles, but its more of a PITA.
I'm trying to convince my wife that kegs are good, I'm going to leave my bottles hang around the kitchen and see what happens

I'm trying to convince my wife that kegs are good, I'm going to leave my bottles hang around the kitchen and see what happens

Thats what I did 6years ago and I am still kegging, love those kegs I have 5 and I still want another 2.

I've tried that, she made me throw out all bottles and replace with pet

Ouch..... :( Can't stand PET, only have some around for comps and such.

Personally have just started down the road to kegging, I have: CO2 (D size cyclinder, don't ask, had it for years and it's costing me heaps all the F***ing time too), reg twin gauge, 240L chest freezer, tap handle (acquired this week: glass Grolsch swingtop handle). Now all I need are the kegs, some beer line, misc fittings and a couple of taps.....

Yep, I'm "almost" there,..... for a given value of "almost". :super:

That's exactly how i ended up my my keg setup. Which is only about 2 weeks old. Absolutely loving it. 4 kegs 4 perlicks in a fridge left on the verge a few weeks back.

Just left a few empty bottles around to get funky and asked if she'd like me to get rid of all those damn bottles... I was blown away when I showed her the kegs and she said, " that's an excellent idea. When can you go get it set up?" wow... Hopefully you'll get the same response. Good luck

go the keg it is the best thing you can do, and when you crack a pet tell your missus that you can taste plastic over and over again. bottling is such a pita.

Back