Kegs!any Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banora brewer

Reaction score
Hi, I am just about to set up my first keg system, just after some advice and do's and dont's
thanks

Dont put them in an area that you frequently walk past. B)

Don't skimp too much.
Buy a setup already in use or from one of the sponsors.

Once you get the hang of it then you can chop and change.

Don't skimp too much.
Buy a setup already in use or from one of the sponsors.

Once you get the hang of it then you can chop and change.
I am getting one that has been used before, for the gas line do you just drill a
hole in the side of the fridge?

be careful drilling that hole.

There shouldn't be any wires in the side of the fridge... but DON'T take any chances... turn the fridge off first.
Use a drill bit that is the size of the tubing or smaller then file the hole to squeeze the tube through.
Put the clamp around the tubing before you push the tubing (Gas Line) onto the gas bottle.

Don't be too rough with drilling... the metal on the side of the fridge is not very thick.

If your buying someone elses setup gear then buy a new beer line and clean the kegs real well.

Enjoy! Kegging is a great way of life!
Just don't play around with the gas pressure... beer doesn't like it when you can't make up your mind what pressure you want it on...

I am getting one that has been used before, for the gas line do you just drill a
hole in the side of the fridge?

If the fridge has a drain you could just feed the gas line through the drain hole. No drilling required for the gas line. Although, taps will require some drilling.

There shouldn't be any wires in the side of the fridge... but DON'T take any chances... turn the fridge off first.
Use a drill bit that is the size of the tubing or smaller then file the hole to squeeze the tube through.
Put the clamp around the tubing before you push the tubing (Gas Line) onto the gas bottle.

Don't be too rough with drilling... the metal on the side of the fridge is not very thick.

If your buying someone elses setup gear then buy a new beer line and clean the kegs real well.

Enjoy! Kegging is a great way of life!
Just don't play around with the gas pressure... beer doesn't like it when you can't make up your mind what pressure you want it on...
no wires but all the gas lines for cooling the fridge. So be careful.

Dont stand on your scales after about 3 months ... and dont worry when you put the belt up an extra notch ....

you need lots of kegs and taps :) try to get a "standard" selection of beer (APA, Amber, Stout), if you have 2 taps then tey to ensure you always have a good drinkable beer on the other tap you can try different beers. For your "standard range" try to keep a keg conditioning of that.

I started Kegging / homebrew in 11/09 My fatal mistake was assuming a keg will last along time, so I then tried, porters/smoked/etc.. Same of these were OK same were revolting. What happened I had 6 revolting or OK occasionally beers and nothing to drink.

Get the balancing spreadsheet and ensure you balance your system. Be-careful when force carbing your kegs.

Just wondering what everyone else does for there gas line from the keg?

Drill from the inside. The plastic is easier and will break through quicker, that way you wont need to apply pressure so as soon as it breaks through yogh can have a look with a probe to see if anything is behind before going allthe way through.

Cheers

Drill from the inside. The plastic is easier and will break through quicker, that way you wont need to apply pressure so as soon as it breaks through yogh can have a look with a probe to see if anything is behind before going allthe way through.

Cheers
Just wondering if you can keep your gas bottle and stuff in the fridge so you don't have to drill
a hole?

Just wondering if you can keep your gas bottle and stuff in the fridge so you don't have to drill
a hole?

Yeah you can I have got my Reg and bottle inside my current set up. It takes up space and is a pain in the arse but it can be done. My upgrade will have it on the outside for convenience.

Brad

Yeah you can I have got my Reg and bottle inside my current set up. It takes up space and is a pain in the arse but it can be done. My upgrade will have it on the outside for convenience.

Brad
Hey Brad, how is it more convenient, is it just adjusting the reg. So it won't damage the regulator being in a fridge.
Thanks Jason

Hey Brad, how is it more convenient, is it just adjusting the reg. So it won't damage the regulator being in a fridge.
Thanks Jason
All of the above Jase, I have 4 soda stream bottles that I rotate and it does tend to be a ******* when changing/moving kegs. becuase they are little fookers they will fall over easily when they have a top heavy reg on top, this is not really a problem as I manage it but they take up space. I am not concerned about the Reg being in the fridge appa from the fact I can't see it. My upcoming set up is a chesty with only kegs and yeasty inside. I like the idea that I can see where the kegs are at (gas wise) from the outside. If its not an issue for YOU reg and bottle will be fine inside.

Cheers Brad

Latest posts

Back