Kegmenter Technique

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got a KK spunding valve off ebay from Country Trader i think. Free delivery.

Mardoo said:
I've had a few major misses from KK and have been considering building my own spunding valves. This guy's page lays out the bits needed and gives links to Amazon to buy them. I'm sure all the bits can be found on eBay, although I'm inclined to go with Aussie or US suppliers for the relief valve and gauge.

http://because-beer.com/diy-spunding-valve-one-stop-parts-shopping-on-amazon/

http://because-beer.com/diy-spunding-valve-one-stop-parts-shopping-on-amazon/
I have seen that page before but found the amazon sellers dont ship to Oz. It would be good to see if you can source them elsewhere.

That link was great just read this bit and will start doing this. Then I know the spunding valve is always at my desired psi

"Since almost all spunding valves have a knob that is disconnected from any useful scale it can be hard to know what your valve is set at. My approach is to connect my valve to my co2 tank in order to test it. Start with your spunding valve turned up above your ideal pressure and your regulator set to your ideal pressure. Slowly lower the spunding valve until it releases pressure. Once it is on the keg you can make small changes to the knob, but this approach will get you in the ballpark much quicker."

nosco said:
I have seen that page before but found the amazon sellers dont ship to Oz. It would be good to see if you can source them elsewhere.
I'll post when I do. I need to get them on my Christmas list, but am focused on VIC case swap preparations and swap for the next few days.

zeggie said:
That link was great just read this bit and will start doing this. Then I know the spunding valve is always at my desired psi

"Since almost all spunding valves have a knob that is disconnected from any useful scale it can be hard to know what your valve is set at. My approach is to connect my valve to my co2 tank in order to test it. Start with your spunding valve turned up above your ideal pressure and your regulator set to your ideal pressure. Slowly lower the spunding valve until it releases pressure. Once it is on the keg you can make small changes to the knob, but this approach will get you in the ballpark much quicker."
Is this the point of his gauge and the gauge on the KK valves? Or does he mean he's testing the calibration of his gauge.

Setting the release point as I understand it. This has been my approach and it seems to work fine.

What's wrong with dry hopping and fining in the serving keg?

Never fined in the serving keg, but I often keg hop as well as, or instead of dry hopping. Never fined in the serving keg, but I do use isinglass to fine, so maybe I already am ;)

This morning I decided to dry hop with loose pellets in the keg. I figure I've chopped 20mm off my dip tube, and I'm not sure the yeast cake is going to be that high on a 6 gallon batch, so I figured make use of this dead space and fill it with hop matter.

I just de-gassed, popped the lid, through them in, then re-pressurised off my gas cylinder.

Will leave it sit for a few days then crash chill and transfer on Sunday probably. See how it goes.

zeggie said:
For those who've bought higher psi gauges, can you share the links where you bought them from?

I too find the KK spunding valve a bit of a pain. Wish there was a more accurate alternative.
I got mine through RS Online. It was only $15.

goldstar said:
I got mine through RS Online. It was only $15.
Which gauge did you end up going with? I'm not sure of the thread and size of the correct gauge to use.

Brewed a batch if IPA that ended up being 28 litres in the end, wouldn't have thought I'd have any krausen issues with this.

So wondered why this morning I had liquid coming out the spunding valve.

Worked it out - I had put the spunding valve on the correct post, but when I cleaned/sanitised earlier I must have put the gas post onto the liquid dip tube.

Oops.

Back