Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did manage to do what you were trying with a mk3 double. It was extremely hard and required a touch of heat (blowtorch) on the connector (not the body) to loosen the glue. Blowtorch came out once I was past the point of no return...

Mk4 says it has mfl fitting so you would need mfl to 1/4 bush and good to go.

Yep pretty much my experience, after my last post i though "F*#k it" it's already stuffed i'll try the blowtorch. Used a little Creme Brulee torch and was careful not to heat more than necessary and got the fitting out but still must have damaged the diaphragm with the heat since it no longer holds pressure on the low side. Oh well. I'll replace it and use an MFL to 1/4 inch as you suggest.

KegLand, if you're listening: Please, no thread locker on the user-replaceable fittings!

Yes we will be extending these plastic joiners. This is something we have new moulds getting made up for at the moment. It just will be a bit of a wait until these are finished.

This is a good change... but unfortunately I now have a fully assembled duotight flow stopper - automatic keg filler that's impossible to assemble as the connectors are end to end.

I see some tri-clamp fittings coming in new. any chance of some sight glasses with tri clamp flanges?

Wait! The description says they will dispense 40l
So just 2 Corny kegs ?
$20 a Corny is just crazy.
Is that right or is it a typo?

I might have to save up and get the Gasweld D size, will pay for itself after 16 kegs at that rate.

Certainly refillable cylinders are cheaper if you go though enough gas. If you drink more than 2 kegs of stout per month then certainly it makes sense to get a refillable cylinder. With that said I think it would only be a small proportion of home brewers that drink that much stout. The majority of home brewers who are interested in disposable nitrogen cylinders would probably be drinking less than 4 stout kegs per year. So for this type of customer the disposables make a lot of sense.

Does the new MK4 regulator come with permanent thread locker on the low pressure outlet? I've just destroyed my practically new MK3 trying to remove the existing fitting so i could replace it with a ball lock post as suggested on the product page for it: https://www.kegland.com.au/ball-lock-post-with-1-4-inch-bulkhead-assembly-gas.html.

Everything has red loctite or equivalent on it and it's impossible to get apart. It has only dispensed one keg and it's already going in the bin since the fitting is now damaged and there's no way it's ever coming off :(

All the regulators that we sell we use a thread adhesive so they are really tight to get out. If you are using an adjustable spanner this always ends badly and you will round off the edges of the nut making it impossible to get the part out of the regulator.

Please use a socket set or ideally an impact wrench. This breaks the thread adhesive really easily and the part will come out easily.

Thx Guys the Blowtie Spunging valve kit arrived, easy to set up.
I did change the disconnect so the thing sat level and I know you don’t need the airlock but old habits died hard
54F8ADBB-C1CD-4A26-9FD8-3DD354005982.jpeg

Certainly refillable cylinders are cheaper if you go though enough gas. If you drink more than 2 kegs of stout per month then certainly it makes sense to get a refillable cylinder. With that said I think it would only be a small proportion of home brewers that drink that much stout. The majority of home brewers who are interested in disposable nitrogen cylinders would probably be drinking less than 4 stout kegs per year. So for this type of customer the disposables make a lot of sense.

Yep I understand that it's a good way to try Nitrogen for those who want.
As for the 2 kegs a month - no. Even 4+ kegs a year over 4 years the Gasweld unit would make sense (No rental just 1 off buy and a swap and go when it's getting a bit old or empty)
I'm hoping your refillable Oxy bottles that can later be filled with Nitrogen will be a lot less expensive when they are in place (for the N gas refill that is, no problem with the bottle cost)
Of course for those who only need the odd Nitro keg It's a great entry level product.

I'm guessing as you didn't mention otherwise the roughly 2 keg per bottle serving is correct?

It’s silicon and I’m not sure but I think it’s 8 mm ID? The elbow is a JG solid elbow and from memory was for 3/8 line

Kegland - just to confirm two things about the Blowtie spunging kit -
1) if there is a pressure drop befor the valve & there is no gas hooked up air from the outside can’t flow back though the valve?
2) if the gauge a few the Tee piece are placed after the valve it could be used as an accurate secondary regulator?
Also I noticed that it is possible to push the black tubes further than
required in the Tee piece - no dramas just something to watch out for!
Great bit of kit though!
I think I know the answers but thx in advance
Cheers

Thanks - I may try some beer/gas line running down to a jar of sanitiser. ( I used to use blow-off tubes on my better bottles.)

It’s silicon and I’m not sure but I think it’s 8 mm ID? The elbow is a JG solid elbow and from memory was for 3/8 line

Yep I understand that it's a good way to try Nitrogen for those who want.
As for the 2 kegs a month - no. Even 4+ kegs a year over 4 years the Gasweld unit would make sense (No rental just 1 off buy and a swap and go when it's getting a bit old or empty)
I'm hoping your refillable Oxy bottles that can later be filled with Nitrogen will be a lot less expensive when they are in place (for the N gas refill that is, no problem with the bottle cost)
Of course for those who only need the odd Nitro keg It's a great entry level product.

I'm guessing as you didn't mention otherwise the roughly 2 keg per bottle serving is correct?

2 kegs should be a conservative. You will very likely get a bit more.

Eventually we will start doing nitrogen fills in these smaller sodastream type cylinders:
https://www.kegland.com.au/450gram-...illable-gas-cylinder-for-co2-or-nitrogen.html

As you can see we sell these sodastream cylinders for $21.95 which is pretty good value considering they come full and if you look at the cost of a refill at BIG W it's basically $20 to fill a Sodastream cylinder.

As you can see from the labelling of this type of Sodastream cylinder we have labelled it and got this cylinder suitably tested for nitrogen filling. In the future we will eventually offer nitrogen filling service from our site and we will gradually work with other home brew stores to also offer nitrogen refilling services around Australia but this will take some time.

It should also be noted that nitrogen for non food grade applications often contain up to 0.5% oxygen. So please also check your nitrogen specification to ensure it's food grade and/or has very low oxygen percentage. Small amounts of oxygen will degrade beer quality quite fast.

What diameter silicone did you use to connect airlock to elbow?

It should also be noted that if you want to get a visual indication of gas flowing through the blowtie then the easiest options is get a piece of beer line and push it into the push in fitting then dunk into a water filled container. I kinda prefer blow off tubes a lot better than airlocks to be honest.

Kegland - just to confirm two things about the Blowtie spunging kit -
1) if there is a pressure drop befor the valve & there is no gas hooked up air from the outside can’t flow back though the valve?
2) if the gauge a few the Tee piece are placed after the valve it could be used as an accurate secondary regulator?
Also I noticed that it is possible to push the black tubes further than
required in the Tee piece - no dramas just something to watch out for!
Great bit of kit though!
I think I know the answers but thx in advance
Cheers

Hello Kenf,

1. I believe this should not be possible for the air to flow back. I have not tested this myself so i will have to make sure but it should not be possible.
2. The blowtie only regulates air coming out of the pressure vessel. (IE it ensures that excess pressure above a certain set point is released). Normally when customers refer to a regulator they are wanting to regulate the gas flow from a high pressure tank and want to set the output pressure (irrespective of the high pressure source pressure). So if you want an inline regulator that will do that then you should purchase this part:
https://www.kegland.com.au/in-line-regulator.html
this is a really useful part and this is a really cheap way to setup your system with multiple pressures without the cost of large regulators.

This device can also be used on mains water pressure to reduce mains water pressure to a lower pressure. I actually use this regulator to connect a ball lock post next to my sink so I can have a a water supply to wash our beer lines and stuff next to my sink.

If you can give me more advice on what you want to use the secondary regulator for and what you are trying to setup I can probably give you my opinion on the best selection of parts for the job.

Hi Kegland,

I think the description for the solenoid valve (KL09478) needs updating. The allowable pressure on the unit's sticker is different to the item description.

I like the look of the check valve gas disconnect. Might have to grab one on my next order.

cheers.

Back