Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi doug if i do decide to buy some taps from them i'll contact you about the right seal kit and i can grab some for you as well if you need them.
cheers paul

Bloke that would be very kind of you !
Cheers :icon_cheers:
doogiechap, that is some ace plumbing. nice work!

wondering about your fridge/freezer though,

you've got your kegs at the back sitting above the ones in front. did you build a second level to accomodate this? my freezer has a slope so that it cuts off floor space on the bottom to make room for the compressor. there is a shelf above that, but this cuts out vertical space. having a second level like that would be useful.

also for anyone, and this has probably been asked before, how do you go about drilling through a freezer to get your taps/gas line through. i suppose the door is no risk for taps, but dont want to run my gas line through the front door. thanks.
joe
Thanks for the nice comments bloke :)
Like you I have a sloped compressor hump at the back so I cut a piece of 30 x 70mm pine and slotted it across the lower edge of the hump which has given a solid 'shelf'. This gives me better access to the front kegs when the shelf is in. As far as drilling through the body my take on that one is you can wrap some tape around your pilot drill so you barely enter the outer skin then grab a coathanger and feel around the insulation for anything foreign before plunging through. (I was lazy for my fermenting freezer and just took a punt ).
Cheers
Doug
PS Some doors have wiring for heated butter compartments so just have a close look before ripping into the door :)

thanks for that, so are they stainless and that shank pictured is what came with it and it's 3 inches long. what is the seal kit for ?
cheers paul
I'm trying to work out the shank setup on those taps.
The tap itself looks similar to a Celli but the Celli has a fixed shank of about 1.5", making it too small on it's own to use on a fridge door without modifying the door itself.
Is the shank removable on those taps?

I'm trying to work out the shank setup on those taps.
The tap itself looks similar to a Celli but the Celli has a fixed shank of about 1.5", making it too small on it's own to use on a fridge door without modifying the door itself.
Is the shank removable on those taps?
Yes they are removeable and are a 5/8 BSP thread :)

Yes they are removeable and are a 5/8 BSP thread :)
Excellent. Makes things a hell of a lot easier being able to chose a shanks length.
Is 5/8 the same kind of thread for use on the likes of Ventmatics and Brumby/Grundy taps?
If so, I've quite a few of those shanks around. They should also easily attach to a font.

Excellent. Makes things a hell of a lot easier being able to chose a shanks length.
Is 5/8 the same kind of thread for use on the likes of Ventmatics and Brumby/Grundy taps?
If so, I've quite a few of those shanks around. They should also easily attach to a font.
Bloke the thread is most likely the same but I can't confirm if the coupling nut and serrated interface and seal is the same. Shoot Pistolpatch a PM as he will have an old shank that he can probably do a comparison for you :)

OOps edit !
The shank is an integral part if the flow restriction and probably is dedicated to that brand of tap.

well i still havnt got my taps i ordered from the states.. bloody Australia post... 3months... grr mumble grr

However i brewed a keg of beer for a end of year can cutting /50th birthday do for the father in law, whilst there i got talking to a guy who had a keg setup at home, after a bit more chatting and me telling him of my auspost issues he said that i should meet him at the RSL the next day at midday... so i did, turns out he runs the rsl, and he had an old disused tap that needed a seal change and a drip tray thats no longer used and he gave them to me! What a winner, then he gave me a seal change kit for it!

The tap was in a state of disrepair and the chrome on the handle was chipping like crazy, so i decided to chip it all off, and go for the 2 tone look, after a seal change a chrome chip and a polish i think its come up fantastically!

edit Yeah the fridge is rusty, but it was also free and it works! notice the 2 recipes worth of grain in the fridge and the fan i mounted on the left

IMG_5517.jpg

IMG_5510.jpg

tap.JPG

Top work Troy! Awesome.... feels good to have beer on tap doesn't it. That beer label to the left of your drip tray looks tops. I reckon it should win awards :p

Enjoy your work (I love how you've already marked it out for a 2nd tap. too cool.), and have a tops chrissy.

:icon_offtopic: You'll be pleased to know that I have 2 panels of my fence done, and will be nailing like crazy tomorrow. The nail gun is awesome... beats the hell out of elbow grease. :super:

Great work Troy, you know it is all down hill from here buddy. I hope the Missus is understanding, or likes a beer!! because you are subscribing to an addiction that is the most noble of arts, and that is brewing :D

cheers

Browndog

I liked the Little Jodie card - good to see you are keeping in touch mate ;)

Welcome to the keg brigade, and remember the more you drink the more you save :rolleyes:

Just poured my first beer off my keg system, used the knobs on the Celli tap to get the pouring rate right, I have dispensed at 1 bar and it seems to pour well.

img4904ka8.jpg

yep shes understanding AND loves beer! i got a keeper :p

Ive actually marked the fridge for 4 taps, just in case... i hope to have moved to a chesty by that point... and swmbo has agreed.

Good work bonj ... get stuck in then chill out by your taps!!

yep shes understanding AND loves beer! i got a keeper :p

Ive actually marked the fridge for 4 taps, just in case... i hope to have moved to a chesty by that point... and swmbo has agreed.

Good work bonj ... get stuck in then chill out by your taps!!

Good one Troy, like to taste that dark in draft form, had it from the bottle last night, uummmmm mothers milk, Thanks!

Here is a pic of my very modest first steps in kegging. I like kegs as I am told they probably won't explode! :p

The fridge in the pic is the outside beer fridge and as you can see it won't take two kegs and the C02, and SWAMBO has renegged on her earlier agreement to allow me to drill a hole in the 3 year old fridge. She claims that I confused her, then tricked her into agreeing. She's right though - heavily pregnant - she was easy to con. Now she has caught on! D'oh! :blink:

I have a another fridge I ferment in, that is down in my Manshed, so no more options for multi kegs. So it looks like for the time being it's one beer at a time.

HUGE thanks to Screwtop for the phone calls and questions and support while I got this all going. Very much appreciated. :icon_chickcheers:

InCider.

b7d80507.jpg

Here is a pic of my very modest first steps in kegging. I like kegs as I am told they probably won't explode! :p

The fridge in the pic is the outside beer fridge and as you can see it won't take two kegs and the C02, and SWAMBO has renegged on her earlier agreement to allow me to drill a hole in the 3 year old fridge. She claims that I confused her, then tricked her into agreeing. She's right though - heavily pregnant - she was easy to con. Now she has caught on! D'oh! :blink:

I have a another fridge I ferment in, that is down in my Manshed, so no more options for multi kegs. So it looks like for the time being it's one beer at a time.

HUGE thanks to Screwtop for the phone calls and questions and support while I got this all going. Very much appreciated. :icon_chickcheers:

InCider.

b7d80507.jpg

Man shed, fermentation fridge, keg rridge, temp control. JUST IMAGINE - IF YOU HAD A THINGY!

Anything would be possible. :lol:

InCider - If you're only looking to have a handful of beers at a time, you could probably get away with keeping both kegs in the fridge. You can then hook up the CO2 for a quick blast after every few beers to ensure that the carbonation levels are okay.

The fridge in the pic is the outside beer fridge and as you can see it won't take two kegs and the C02,
Can't you just put the extinguisher on the compressor hump?
Looks like it'll fit two kegs then.

Or do what I do and run the gas line through the door (like most people do with their fridgemate thermometer probes). No drilling and I can fit 2 kegs. And I don't think it makes too much difference the the insulating efficiency of the fridge either.

DSCF8826.JPG

bit of a tight fit, but behind is my reg and 100l s/stream bottle, all in my 210L samsung fridge

To save me looking further thorugh this thread, what size/dimensions is good for a chest freezr to hold 6 kegs (post mix) with 2 double fonts on top? 400l?

Cheers
Carl

To save me looking further thorugh this thread, what size/dimensions is good for a chest freezr to hold 6 kegs (post mix) with 2 double fonts on top? 400l?

Cheers
Carl

Carl,

Check out the thread I started on the Signature brand 300L Chesty which I eventually bought and now have up and running (with a collar):

Freezer

Holds 6 kegs with ease though will have to measure her up another time for you.
cliffo

Back