Kegging Setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davewalk

Reaction score
Having now bottled 5 brews with a 6th waiting, I'm finding that bottling is a time consuming exercise and beause of limited free time it's difficult to continue this and my kids who've been helping me are finding the novelty is wearing off.
So, the alternative is probably to look at kegging.
My question is how much would it roughly cost to setup a system and go about it?
I have 2 bar fridges available, 1 with a freezer up top and 1 without a freezer. I've seen some pics on this site of bar fridges with taps and would like some guidance on this please.
Any help would be appreciated.
PS. I'm quite enjoying the different brews we've done already and am looking forward to lots more.

Cheers
Dave :party:

Most brewers find bottling a chore. Amazing your little helpers have lasted 6 brews.

Have a read of this kegging topic.

This topic was in the equipment forum. Make sure when browsing a forum, you have selected all topics, as the default is for the last 30 days.

You will need to check that your barfridge is big enough for at least two kegs, and the base/bottom shelf may need reinforcing so that the bottom shelf will take the combined weight of the kegs.

Easiest solution is to buy a complete 2 keg setup from your local homebrew shop. The cheapest solution is to buy kegs from overseas, Brewers Discount in the US is probably the cheapest and has recieved alot of comments in a long topic already on the board, then buy the rest of your gear from GMK.

You then need to source CO2 cylinder locally. Your local welding gas supplier usually has the right cylinder available for hire.

pint of lager said:
Most brewers find bottling a chore. Amazing your little helpers have lasted 6 brews.

Have a read of this kegging topic.

This topic was in the equipment forum. Make sure when browsing a forum, you have selected all topics, as the default is for the last 30 days.

You will need to check that your barfridge is big enough for at least two kegs, and the base/bottom shelf may need reinforcing so that the bottom shelf will take the combined weight of the kegs.

Easiest solution is to buy a complete 2 keg setup from your local homebrew shop. The cheapest solution is to buy kegs from overseas, Brewers Discount in the US is probably the cheapest and has recieved alot of comments in a long topic already on the board, then buy the rest of your gear from GMK.

You then need to source CO2 cylinder locally. Your local welding gas supplier usually has the right cylinder available for hire.
[post="107834"][/post]​

Pol

Hope I'm replying correctly, I'm still trying to get my head around the workings of the site.
Thanks for the info, it's quite interesting.

Regards
Dave

Hi davewalk

My first set up stored 2 kegs, however the beer got good & now I've upgraded to bigger capacity.

There's now 3 kegs on tap & 3 kegs carbonating & a little room for conditioning the upcoming beer in jerrycans.

In the 1st set up with 2 taps it was fine, however if both kegs emptied within a few days, I'd have no replacements ready.

I run a balanced system so I carbonate at dispensing pressure. With this method there's no risk of over carbonating.

I chill to 4deg C, serve lagers & set the regulator @ 13-14 psi. My lines are 4mm ID, 1.5m long & the lift is approx 450mm

It takes a little longer to carbonate, however I don't have to alter my pressures.

There are other guys here who carbonate using other methods (search on Ross's method) that work just as well.

Cheers & enjoy

i thoroughly agree with pol,s comments..buy a system complete from a hbs which will get you up and running in almost no time at all.if you have the patience then gather your gear over time.the best bit is once you have your basic system in place and sorted then you can look around for extra kegs beer fonts fermenting fridges etc.
it becomes a growing hobby but well worth the time and effort once you sort out your needs and wants.

cheers
big d

G'day buddy

As im in the same boat here, I am still yet to get the kegging set up complete..
Allthough,,, TODAY I just recieved the 1st addition to my kegging set up,,, KEGS woo hoo, all 4 of them,,,,Sent Via ebay in the states from mchitiea from this site, very cheap for 4...

I still gotta get the rest of the gear, but that will come soon enough, I have the perfect spot out in the shed for my bar area, RIGHT NEXT TO THE POOL TABLE, lol.....

I thought I might even get a soft drink on tap for the kids, HOW cheap will that be,,, $3 for a 20 soda stream mix, 20ltrs of water.... Man I cant wait..

Have fun, and welcome aboard, this is a great site, you will learn heaps...

Casey

Back to the original topic, cost so far including fridge would go to $500-600.
I sourced the tap, disconnects (both of them) with beer line and a regulator from e-bay, ~$210
Keg from HBS, ~$85
Fridge ~$175 (Ongoing due to issues, buyer beware)
Gas, ~$110 rental for one year + $35 first refill.

Not exactly cheap, but when it' all working at the end hopefully it ill be worth it.

davewalk,
Being in Victoria the rent for gas bottles is around $17.00 per year from Air Liquide and about $40.00 to fill. A 9kg bottle will last a loooong time; around 20-30 brews. You can get your gas/bottles from most home brew stores.
My initial set up consisted of one keg in a barfridge(no freezer) with the line running through the top of the fridge and bar bench top to the tap. Works extremely well. PM me if want any info on purchasing taps etc in Melbourne.
Cheers
Scott

Just one thing that hasn't been mentioned so far Dave is that if you only need to have one beer on tap, and money is a little short, you can get by with one keg and several plastic jerry cans (cubes) which cost about $16.

As a simple system, you can rack from your fermenter after 7 days into a cube. Try and keep the cube for another 7 days at the correct fermenting temperature. (Cubes will usually take a bung and airlock of around 48mm, often the same as your fermenter however if it doesn't fit, just screw the lid on lose so air can escape - not too loose though!). After this 14 days, replace the bung and airlock with the lid and put the whole cube into your fridge where it can stay for another week or several months cold conditioning.

When your keg is empty, you need to clean it and sanitise it, including the line and tap, which can all be done in the same process. Then you can rack your cube into the now sterilised keg, use the Ross Method of Carbonation and be drinking again in about half an hour though the beer will be alittle frothy.

Just thought this may save you a $80 or $90.

There are also 2 types of kegs available now. One is the trafitional 19lt corny keg which is slim and tall. The other is the 23 litre Brew Bratt keg recently available through Morgan's distributors. These are lower and wider (27cm circular footprint and 47cm high). The reason I mention this is that depending on your fridge width, height and shelf spacing, it can sometimes end up being more economical buying the newer kegs, those being the Brew Bratts at about $180 brand new, especially as they hold a full brew.

A picture of my fridge set-up can be seen here, and if I had used Corny's, I would have lost out badly. As I said, you don't necessarily need 2 kegs to start though.

As Pint mentioned, a lot of shops have a 2 keg set-up and the price of the second keg is slightly discounted. As refrigeration cost or space usually ends up being a big factor, do as Pint suggested and check the measurements of your fridges. How many cubes can you fit? (Cube height is approx. 21wx35dx44h). How many Brew Bratt kegs could you fit? How many 19lt Corny kegs can you fit? (Not sure of the dimensions of Cornys sorry).

Finally, kegging is the best! This is also one of the reasons why I'm glad I went for 23lt kegs and not the 19lt ones as I never have to see a bottle again! (Mind you, if I need to do up some bottles I am also able to load them straight from the tap). Also get yourself an autosyphon for about $25.

Am I long winded or what?!!!!

P.S. Wish I had 2 beer fridges!

PistolPatch said:
A picture of my fridge set-up can be seen here, and if I had used Corny's, I would have lost out badly. As I said, you don't necessarily need 2 kegs to start though.
[post="107969"][/post]​
Very interesting. I've never seen those fat 23L kegs before.
One thing about Corny's though, you'd easily get 4 of them in that fridge if you made a base that went over the compressor hump, as I've done with my fridge. They also cost around half the price of the 23L kegs. You'd probably still have room for the cubes too.
I also like my beer a little bit stronger so I usually make it to around 20L so there's no need to bother with bottles.

I never thought of making a weaker brew for the Corny's or just having a stronger brew Thunder! When I did all the research, I had Corny dimensions and I think I could get 3 kegs and 2 cubes so went for the Brew Bratt instead as I could get 2 kegs and 4 cubes.

My only criticism of the Brew Bratts is that the inner lip and to some extent, the handles, are very sharp so you want to be careful handling them. Apart from that, great! Easy to clean etc.

Hey Pistol

I thought you were quite accustomed to handling metal things with sharp edges! :D

What was it I read in another post? Eight stitches in one hand, three in the other? :p

Remember "Klettle"!!! :lol:

Steve

Well Steve, I was going to mention that but I thought I'd get in trubo for going off topic! ;)

But, as you say, I am used to handling sharp metal so I wonder how many others have cut themselves on these new kegs? Cheers!

Oh and Dave, let us know what you decide on.

Thanks sparky for the reply, need to convince the purse holder now of the absolute importance and urgency in "investing" in kegging.

Cheers Dave

Sparky said:
Hi davewalk

My first set up stored 2 kegs, however the beer got good & now I've upgraded to bigger capacity.

There's now 3 kegs on tap & 3 kegs carbonating & a little room for conditioning the upcoming beer in jerrycans.

In the 1st set up with 2 taps it was fine, however if both kegs emptied within a few days, I'd have no replacements ready.

I run a balanced system so I carbonate at dispensing pressure. With this method there's no risk of over carbonating.

I chill to 4deg C, serve lagers & set the regulator @ 13-14 psi. My lines are 4mm ID, 1.5m long & the lift is approx 450mm

It takes a little longer to carbonate, however I don't have to alter my pressures.

There are other guys here who carbonate using other methods (search on Ross's method) that work just as well.

Cheers & enjoy
[post="107848"][/post]​

big d said:
i thoroughly agree with pol,s comments..buy a system complete from a hbs which will get you up and running in almost no time at all.if you have the patience then gather your gear over time.the best bit is once you have your basic system in place and sorted then you can look around for extra kegs beer fonts fermenting fridges etc.
it becomes a growing hobby but well worth the time and effort once you sort out your needs and wants.

cheers
big d
[post="107849"][/post]​

Thanks Big D

PistolPatch said:
Well Steve, I was going to mention that but I thought I'd get in trubo for going off topic! ;)

But, as you say, I am used to handling sharp metal so I wonder how many others have cut themselves on these new kegs? Cheers!

Oh and Dave, let us know what you decide on.
[post="108094"][/post]​

Thanks Pistol,

I'll probably go with the kit that The Country Brewer (http://www.countrybrewer.com.au/index.htm) supplies- 2x kegs, lines, tap etc for around $420. Although I might see if they can supply the traditional tap rather than the pull tap, it just seems more pub like with the old style tap. I've got a bar fridge I can bring home from work to use and mount the tap on the door. My mouth is starting to salivate just thinking about it!

hey dave ive just gone the tcb kit. it has everything and was easy to setup.

barls said:
hey dave ive just gone the tcb kit. it has everything and was easy to setup.
[post="109654"][/post]​

Sounds the way to go. So when you fill the keg from the fermenter, how long before you can drink it, is it a case of just carbonating with the co2 and away you go?

Cheers Dave

I find that my beers get better the longer they have been in the keg, but after 2 days of being connected to gas @ 300kpa the beer is very drinkable.

Back