Kegging Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happy benno

Reaction score
Hi all, i now have a 3rd keg and can only fit two in my fridge, is it ok to rack my brew to my 3rd keg purge the keg to get the oxygen out of the top and leave in my shed till im ready to chill and carbonate.

Does the beer mature at all while it is sitting unused uncarbonated ?
Does anyone else do this process ?

cheers Benno

I've done this a few times and not had any problems. I jsut give it a quick squirt of C02, then pull the relief valve a few times to ensure the C02 has pushed out any oxygen for the head space.

I also try to find a relatively coolish/temp stable area to store the full kegs, and try to keep them away from excessive temp fluctuations.

:icon_cheers: SJ

If your gunna leave it in the shed for a few weeks why not prime it with dextrose and save the co2.

You still need to purge the oxygen as Supra Jim points out.

Good point there regarding the priming sugar. However this only works if your not filtering, or doing other stuff to knock out the yeast.

Good point there regarding the priming sugar. However this only works if your not filtering, or doing other stuff to knock out the yeast.

Yep SJ is right... Also need to consider how long that the keg has been hanging around because all the yeasties might not be alive any more :( Poor little yeasties...

Yep SJ is right... Also need to consider how long that the keg has been hanging around because all the yeasties might not be alive any more :( Poor little yeasties...

So if you are going to prime with dext rack and prime straight away and no cold conditioning.

i love the poor little yeasties

cheers Benno

Just remember you will still need to flush a small amout of CO2 to push out any oxygen from the head space of the keg.

Cold conditioning will knock out some of the yeast but i believe there still should be plenty of yeast cells left in suspension to provide sufficient carbonation.

Unless you are using a depth filter, there will still be plenty of yeast to prime. geletine and (even extended) cold conditioning will prime with no problem. Cartridge (not depth) filtered, even to 1mic absolute, will still prime, but will just take longer.

Back