Kegging Problems!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nedelz

Reaction score
Hi Guys, long time reader first time poster ect.

I Have only been kegging my beer for about 2 months, and would like some help with a problem i am having. I am getting an off flavour in my beer that is similar to a ginger taste, but is only evident in my beer from the keg. (i also bottle the remaining 2-3L left in the fermenter to age and taste the difference, and there is not a gingery flavour) The gingery taste is a little over-powering but not revolting. At first i thought it was an infection or the keg was not cleaned properly. So the next time i made a very concerted effort to make sure the keg was clean and sanitized, but i ended up with the same result - beer with a gingery taste...... :angry:

Next i thought it was my gas,beer line, and tap, so i disconnected all fittings and cleaned and sanitzed to best of my abilities, again ensuring my keg was as clean and sanitized as i could get it, but i had the same gingery taste from the start. But the intresting thing was, the gingery taste started to subside towards the end of the keg - but was still evident. :(

At first i though it was sanitisation, but now I'm starting to doubt that this could be the problem. I am even starting to lean towards that maybe, just maybe the C02 is imparting this off flavour on my brew. I was wondering if this is at all possible or if anyone has any other ideas on what could be the problem. Any help would be great!

Cheers,
Ned.

P.S
I force carbinate all my brews by the method listed on the forum(ross's method if i recall correctly) to the T. Also i have been using the same C02 bottle on all the affected kegs, and the C02 is commercial grade C02 for consumption.

Welcome to the forum Nedelz. Sounds like you need to change the seals, if they are the original seals they may be impregnated with cordial syrup. :D

Could be your o-rings and post fittings ...they can take on the flavours/aromas of whatever was in the keg previously.

When I first started kegging I had one that produced "lime" flavoured beers. Problem fixed when I got new o-rings. Try it anyway ;)

Edit: ...like what razz said !!

As above - replace your o rings & seals - available for just a few dollars online or from your local HBS. Ginger in particular can be tasted in the smallest quantities - quite disgusting in a beer...

cheers Ross

A couple of my kegs came with identifying tape around them stating "Root Beer" ;)

PZ.

A couple of my kegs came with identifying tape around them stating "Root Beer" ;)

PZ.

Yep. Had one similar... If you don't toss the seals and Napisan the posts, dip tube and keg itself you wind up with "Rooted Beer".

I always found the kegs that contained solo to be the worst, followed closely by Orange.

Warren -

wow, that was quick! :beerbang:

Although the seals look new on both kegs, i'm off to the HBS to get new ones to replace them.

Is there anything else that could be causing the problem at all?

Cheers!

Thanks for all your help!

Nedelz

Are you using a new regulator or do you use a 2nd hand one of dubious origin? :unsure:

If it's a used regulator it could be the cause of your problem. It's not overly difficult to have beer or whatever back up the gas line and into the reg with little care.

Usually caused by putting the gas disconnect on with the gas turned off.

Perhaps the former owner did this with a Ginger flavoured beverage?

Warren -

Hi warren,
It was a new regulator, but in saying that i have had beer up along my gas line and get into my regulator. (it was my first attempt at carbing my keg) Although i have taken the regulator off and rinsed it out twice, with water.

Could this be the cause of the problems? if so how do i clean it out properly!? :)

You could always prime a keg and let it carbonate naturally. This will help to determine if it's the CO2 that's the cuplrit.

Latest posts

Back