Kegging issues

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilkensone

Reaction score
Heyhey,

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on my kegging issue.

I've recently purchased a 2nd hand kegerator and replaced the beer & gas lines. I've put about 5l of beer in the keg and left at ~10PSI for 2 weeks with the fridge temp at 5 degrees. Now.. when I try to pour from the tap, there is no pressure and no beer comes out as if there isn't any pressure coming from the keg but from the little beer that came out I know it is carbed so what gives! I just want some of my first AG beer :unsure: could anyone give me some pointers on what I may have done wrong?

Cheers folks! :chug:

How long and what inner diameter is your beer line? If you increase the serving pressure to say 20psi does beer come through (turn if back afterwards)?

Black n Tan said:
How long and what inner diameter is your beer line? If you increase the serving pressure to say 20psi does beer come through (turn if back afterwards)?
I made sure the gas bottle was open again (obviously) and pushed it to about 15psi and still didn't get anything, the keg was about half full at the beginning and I've probably taken 2 glasses at most from in and each time the pressure was slower and slower with heaps of foam. The beer line is 5mm x 8mm from my LHBS who said thinner lines were better (not sure why)

Try taking the kegs apart. The dip tube or posts may be full of crap.

wereprawn said:
Try taking the kegs apart. The dip tube or posts may be full of crap.
If the keg is already carbonated and half full of beer what is the best thing to do?

Let the gas out, remove the dip tube an flush, clean bother the gas as beer out posts and replace, I've had to do this a number of times with no issue

Yob said:
Let the gas out, remove the dip tube an flush, clean bother the gas as beer out posts and replace, I've had to do this a number of times with no issue
Thanks mate, will give it a whirl tomorrow while brewing a new beer tomorrow.

Cheers

Take off the dip tube and posts, cover keg with glad wrap or foil and put the keg back in the fridge while you clean them.

Edit: I'm a slow one fingered typist. What Yob said. :D

Agree with the above advice, sounds like a blockage.

Put the gas line on the liquid line and push back the other way.

Maybe somethings up with the liquid connect and its not opening the keg post up enough/properly. (Broken spring/worn spring/no spring)

If u push down on the liquid post on the keg, does it cover your face in large amounts of beer???

shaunous said:
If u push down on the liquid post on the keg, does it cover your face in large amounts of beer???
I may be a newb but that sounds like a silly idea to me!

If you gently release the pressure value on the keg, does gas come out?

This will help you determine whether the problem is caused on the way in or out.

Something like this happened to me once.

I think the beer was frozen in the line, because the coil of beer line I made was resting against the 'cooling" part of the fridge. I repositioned the coil of beer line and have not had the problem since.

Similarly, when some of the frozen beer moved through the line to the tap, the tap partially blocked, causing nothing but froth to come out (kind of like not opening the tap fully to give a squirt into the glass).

Just a thought that may help.

Stephen

thedragon said:
If you gently release the pressure value on the keg, does gas come out?

This will help you determine whether the problem is caused on the way in or out.
Do you mean just pushing in the middle 'pole' for lack of a better word on the gas in of the keg?

Wilkensone said:
Do you mean just pushing in the middle 'pole' for lack of a better word on the gas in of the keg?
Most kegs have a pressure release valve located near the middle of the lid. Usually there will be a little key ring like ring pull attached to it. If you gently pull the ring attached to the valve it should release gas from the keg.

If gas comes out it will mean that your problem is occurring somewhere between the dip tube and the tap.

If there's no gas released, the problem is somewhere between your regulator and your grey disconnect (including the disconnect).

Edit: grammar

See the little ring pull in the middle of the lid. image.jpg

Back