Kegging For Beginners

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peaka

Reaction score
I thought I would post this here as a new topic as I'm not sure if its been covered or not. I would just like to know if there are any good beginners guides to kegging out there and also price guides and what is needed.

Ok thanks for that, thats a handy guide :)
Now does anyone know if any places are cheaper than others for everything you need to buy for a keg system?

I just picked up a kegerator on eBay last week, it comes with:

keg fridge to hold 1x 50L commercial keg or 2 cornies
1x chrome beer font
1x CUB regulator
1x standard gas regulator
1x Australian Standards dual gage regulator
1x stainless steel drip tray
1x guard rail, chrome

and all necessary fittings, hoses, clamps, etc. It was $400.

there are others on eBay for the same price with gas bottle, but as it's not AUS standards, it's apparently pretty hard to get filled up.

09092008230650ch5.jpg

sl370509ef3.jpg

sl370510nd1.jpg

sl370511za4.jpg

sl370514ov9.jpg

sl370515sc8.jpg

www.kegsonline.com.au just got my setup off there on the fathers day special so be quick think it finishes tomorrow.
kegs turned up next day after paying for them. Think they based in sydney.
Cheers Wade

Thanks for that Wade, thats a good deal.
Just another question for everyone...once the beer is sufficiently gassed up in the keg is it possible to transfer the beer to bottles and store them or does the beer have to stay in the keg?

I'm sure you could but why would you bother? The only benefit I could see is no sediment in the bottles, but its a pretty expensive exercise if thats the goal.

Well I'm just trying to work out what the process would be because I have 2 fridges in the shed in the backyard which I would use to put the kegs in. But I don't want to have to walk down there every time I want another beer so thats why I was thinking is it possible to fill maybe 3 or 4 longnecks for a drinking session so I don't have to keep going back down there? I didn't really mean to store them in the bottles, I agree that would be a waste of time.

I think you need to get a jug. Or a beer wench. ;)

Peaka,
Yes you can bottle. Minor pita, but pretty easy. And they can store better than expected, if you're careful how you go about filling. But I sure wouldn't bottle with storage being the primary goal. Longnecks for going out, absolutely. I do that all the time, with just a bit of racking tube through a bung, connected to my bronco tap. I had some leftovers, that I deliberately avoided opening (since I had them bottled already, I decided to test them). Four weeks later, cracked em open, and they were fresh as a daisy, poured great, tasted great. (but I wouldn't count on that always being the case)

For your situation, though, just get a jug as KGB said. Or the wench :lol:

I have heard this is how a wench operates. I lost the instructions for mine and have never been able to get it to work properly. I ask for the beer and the wench tells me to get off my lazy arse and get it myself. And this is on a good day. I really must find those instructions and get it working in a more wench-like manner.

Well I'm just trying to work out what the process would be because I have 2 fridges in the shed in the backyard which I would use to put the kegs in. But I don't want to have to walk down there every time I want another beer so thats why I was thinking is it possible to fill maybe 3 or 4 longnecks for a drinking session so I don't have to keep going back down there? I didn't really mean to store them in the bottles, I agree that would be a waste of time.

Get a 20oz Nonic glass and you'll be sweet :beer:

I have heard this is how a wench operates. I lost the instructions for mine and have never been able to get it to work properly. I ask for the beer and the wench tells me to get off my lazy arse and get it myself. And this is on a good day. I really must find those instructions and get it working in a more wench-like manner.

I got one of these in a group buy. Having problems with mine as well.
Out of warranty now though. Will try to fix it myself.
Crusty

Definitely faulty :)

Peaka, i can see the advantages of kegging, would you consider a really long trench through the garden and long gas lines....
Alternatively if the beer wench is broken... as mine usually is, you could try a spawn i have 3 spawn and all three are only partly functional but i can usually get one to operate long enough to receive a beer and sometimes even a glass, sometimes you have to bribe them or feed em pizza or something. Oh and the spawn that brings you beer gets a reward, it convinces the other 2 to pull their fingers out
Sometimes i can get my wench to work with bribes or promises to fix something around the house.

Ahh the wench, shame it's not like the old days in the bavarian wench gear.....

Latest posts

Back