Kegged Lager Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darryl

Reaction score
This is the recipe I made about five weeks ago.

5Kg JWM Export Pilsner
10g Nelson Sauvin at 60min
30g Nelson Sauvin at 10 min
40g Nelson Sauvin Dry Hopped

Well here is the question for you - Right now it tastes way over hopped will that fade out over time? If not is there anything I can do to salvage this beer. Right now it tastes like when I was dumb enough to squeeze the hop sock into my mouth. (Well maybe not that bad)

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Darryl

This is the recipe I made about five weeks ago.

5Kg JWM Export Pilsner
10g Nelson Sauvin at 60min
30g Nelson Sauvin at 10 min
40g Nelson Sauvin Dry Hopped

Well here is the question for you - Right now it tastes way over hopped will that fade out over time? If not is there anything I can do to salvage this beer. Right now it tastes like when I was dumb enough to squeeze the hop sock into my mouth. (Well maybe not that bad)

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Darryl

Hiya Darryl,

The hop flavour will die down in time. 40g dry hopped Nelson Sauvin is quite a whack! If you can spare the keg, then sit it in the corner for a couple of months and try again. It will fade with age.

I love nelson Sauvin,but it is easy to overdo it.The flavour and aroma will mellow with time.If it doesn't you could make another batch aiming for less bitterness more malt backbone and blend both to achieve the balance.

Have successfully blended out of balance beers with another purpose driven out of balance beer,to blend to make a drinkable beer.

As NickR and hoohaaman said, it will mellow with time. You say it was made five weeks ago so I'm assuming about three weeks in the fermenter so only a short time in the keg. If it has been in the keg for less than a fortnight then you can expect the hop flavour/aroma to decrease quite considerably in the next couple months. The bitterness will also integrate but how well it settles and balances will depend on factors such as mash temperature. So the upshot is that it will settle down but whether it settles down enough to suit your taste is another matter.

Thanks for the advice. I guess that will give me a good enough excuse to buy another keg.

Thanks for the advice. I guess that will give me a good enough excuse to buy another keg.

I'm thinking that perhaps burping the keg every couple of days over say a week, might help to reduce some hop aroma.

Back