Kegged Beer - Taste Issue

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumo

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have just emptied a keg of HB lager which has been neglected.

How long can you leave beer in a keg under pressure outside of a fridge? Is 2 months too long?

After 2 months why would the beer have a metallic taste, with a sulphur smell/taste? I am guessing sanitisation, so would iodophor be okay for sanitising the keg?

Any other possible reasons for the metallic taste?

metallic taste - metals in your brew water, bad copper pipes. i had this when i did a Irish red. used a large about of unfiltered water i'll never do that again.

Sulphur smell/taste - very common for lager yeast. did you ferment low and up the temp @ the end of fermentation to complete and leave time for a diacetyl rest?

If you didnt ferment out, you may have had some secondary fermentation in the keg when it should have been lagering, which has trapped the sulphur.

I regulary leave my ales out at ambient tempratures upwards of 15 degrees in kegs with no adverse effects. (as i currently dont have a dedicated beer fridge)

lagers however, should be held at lager tempratures during storgage and preferrably lagered until ready to drink.

just my 2 cents.

Latest posts

Back