Kegerator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice buy! Awesome price with all the kegs etc! Well done.

Only possible problem I can see with the system is the length of beer line may be too short. Hard to say though. Basically the average beer is carbonated to ~2 to 2.5 volumes of CO2. At 4*C you need ~70KPa/10psi of gass head pressure to maintain your carbonation. So if your beer is pouring too fast and constantly foaming up, increase the beer line length. Cheap and easy way to add resistence in flow.

That said, she'll be right! Start brewing, you have 3 kegs to fill!

Just picked it up!! YAY !! He has used it for 1 keg..Looks brand new..I am stoked..and yes "chomping at the bit' thank you all for your replies ...will post pics asoon as I can work out how too blue tooth,,
Cheers guy

gratz mate fantastic buy

i just spent near on $500 and got 1 keg, a gas bottle and a plastic tap with no fridge <_<

happy brewing :beerbang:

The advantage of this model is that you can place it in the lounge room and it is a fantastic piece of home decor that impresses all visitors whether they are drinkers or not.

Preferably next to your TV recliner :super:

Nice buy! Awesome price with all the kegs etc! Well done.

Only possible problem I can see with the system is the length of beer line may be too short. Hard to say though. Basically the average beer is carbonated to ~2 to 2.5 volumes of CO2. At 4*C you need ~70KPa/10psi of gass head pressure to maintain your carbonation. So if your beer is pouring too fast and constantly foaming up, increase the beer line length. Cheap and easy way to add resistence in flow.

That said, she'll be right! Start brewing, you have 3 kegs to fill!

The beer line used on these is a smaller internal diameter, the length looks ok.

QldKev

The line looks to be a metre in length . it is wider then the gas line! does that sound bout right or do you think it should be a bit longer

cheers
Mark
The beer line used on these is a smaller internal diameter, the length looks ok.

QldKev

The line looks to be a metre in length . it is wider then the gas line! does that sound bout right or do you think it should be a bit longer

cheers
Mark

Yep looks ok to me. The line used from factory in these units have a very thick skin, hence the outside diameter is larger than normal beer line, but the more important factor for us is the internal diameter. Give it a go, I think you will be happy.

Also if I was buying it second had I would run some warm PWB through the lines / taps and then follow up with some starsan. Just to ensure you are starting with a clean sanatised environment.

QldKev

Yep..
looked at the lines and they have not been cleaned too well..
So willdo that soon.

cheers.

Yep looks ok to me. The line used from factory in these units have a very thick skin, hence the outside diameter is larger than normal beer line, but the more important factor for us is the internal diameter. Give it a go, I think you will be happy.

Also if I was buying it second had I would run some warm PWB through the lines / taps and then follow up with some starsan. Just to ensure you are starting with a clean sanatised environment.

QldKev

1 mtr might be a bit short, depends on temp and carbonation levels, see the spreadsheet about lengths etc..

great buy by the way.

yeah I have one of these ( or the equiv).
As for beer line length it might be a bit short because I can't get my pouring pressure to 10psi .
It does foam up .
I just back it right down .
It pours real slowly but the head is fine and my mates who can't pour a beer love it this way.

I just checked and I have mine on 6 psi.

I love the bloody thing.

My beer line length is as-supplied. I think some of the foaming issue is because of the 'hot' part of the beer line that goes up through the font, and the initial temperature of the tap itself. For example if I'm pouring 2 half-litres of a German Pils at 4 degrees, when there's a mate around, the first glass will foam excessively, then the second glass is usually spot on. I keep my pressure at around 80 metric thingos (not the PSI) - (KPA????) - what usually helps is to pour off a 'nip' into a spare chilled glass first, to clear its throat, then proceed to pour the main glasses.
If I'm having a session - which is usually the case - I tip the nip back into my glass towards the end and it doesn't detract from the beer.

Edit: hence the popularity of frozen fonts, if you are rich or a fridge mechanic or rocket scientist ;)

Second edit: Also I read here last year that someone was experimenting with using a computer fan to blow cold air constantly up into the font tower, but can't remember reading whether he succeeded or not.

My beer line length is as-supplied. I think some of the foaming issue is because of the 'hot' part of the beer line that goes up through the font, and the initial temperature of the tap itself. For example if I'm pouring 2 half-litres of a German Pils at 4 degrees, when there's a mate around, the first glass will foam excessively, then the second glass is usually spot on. I keep my pressure at around 80 metric thingos (not the PSI) - (KPA????) - what usually helps is to pour off a 'nip' into a spare chilled glass first, to clear its throat, then proceed to pour the main glasses.
If I'm having a session - which is usually the case - I tip the nip back into my glass towards the end and it doesn't detract from the beer.

Edit: hence the popularity of frozen fonts, if you are rich or a fridge mechanic or rocket scientist ;)

Second edit: Also I read here last year that someone was experimenting with using a computer fan to blow cold air constantly up into the font tower, but can't remember reading whether he succeeded or not.

Same here, still using the beer line as supplied. Which looks to be about the same length in the OP pic as above. I did have heaps of issues originally with pouring a beer, but since I swapped the reg for another one I had all has been good. I also have the first glass for the day foaming issue, but I don't want to use a lot of power to keep the font cool, so I will live with it.

QldKev

Just a quick note to the OP. You do realise, don't you, that this kegerator will take 3 kegs? If you get some more gas line, an extra gas quick disconnect and a John Guest "Equal Tee" then you can split one of your gas lines in two and have two kegs serving off the equal T and the third keg gassed up and ready to go.

Thanks Guys ..will bare this all in mind. Plan to fill my first (and ) second Keg tomorow..Plan to secondary ferment in them.. Any tips..Cheers Mark

My brother was having a foaming issue and setup a system where he pumps some glycol through the kegerator and around the font somehow. Not sure on the exact details but he is very happy with how it is working. If anyone is interested in me getting more detailed on how he did this (he got the handyman skills, I got the looks ;)) shoot me a PM and I'll find out from him in due course and post something up.

Back