Kegerator Vs Kegmaster

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the kegs can have carbonated water in it. I have one of Ross's setups with 3 kegs/ 3 taps, and the left tap always has water. The water at beer serving pressure is not as fizzy as normal soda water, but it is excellent having cold fizzy water on tap. I drink it straight, while the wife and kids add cordial etc to it in the glass.

QldKev

i know you say 1 font will do, and you dont need it to hold 3 kegs, but this will likely change when you have it, so i'd recommend you get the flat door one that fits 3 kegs, with a 2 tap font, i'm quite sure they are sold with dual tap fonts

having a 3rd keg in the fridge can help with lagering/conditioning/carbonating the next keg, even if it isnt connected

I do have a spare fridge for conditioning and temp control brewing (hence the reason why a kegerator is on the cards) and I don't, by myself, drink or brew enough batches to run it.

But - what kegs that are 3 keg systems with 2 fonts - are available that you see as being good value? This will also allow for a truer comparison. Same bloke on ebay has $499 for a dual font 3 keg fridge with a reg for $499. Even with Delivery and insurance, I'm unlikely to save monies buying the CB and then acquiring the reg and dual tap font.

Cheers,

Goomba

I do have a spare fridge for conditioning and temp control brewing (hence the reason why a kegerator is on the cards) and I don't, by myself, drink or brew enough batches to run it.

But - what kegs that are 3 keg systems with 2 fonts - are available that you see as being good value? This will also allow for a truer comparison. Same bloke on ebay has $499 for a dual font 3 keg fridge with a reg for $499. Even with Delivery and insurance, I'm unlikely to save monies buying the CB and then acquiring the reg and dual tap font.

Cheers,

Goomba

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dual-Double-Tap...=item4aacab86ab

is this the one ? comes with reg & 2 tap font

Sweet donburke - thanks for that. My issue was value vs quality, but it appears as though all is well.

I'll leave this thread open (I might bump it), just to keep the debate open as well.

Goomba

He he he, Keg King vs Ebay. The last Ebay one IS a Keg King one...

Another point to consider (whether it is a valid point is uncertain):
Three kegs in the fridge will have a greater thermal mass and will resist warming up; it will take more energy to get them cold but they should stay cold longer than a 1 keg fridge.

I have purchased 4 keggerators from CB (3 for me 1 for mate) & went with SS triple fonts with Perlicks 525's. Haven't had a problem (touch wood) however I know if I do I can always waddle down to CB & I know I will have any issues resolved.

In respect to not brewing enough for 3 taps, I don't brew much lately (twice in 6 months), however it takes me a long time to drink a keg (as I have no friends) & I like a little variety.

:icon_cheers:

Paul

Just thinking - is there any Brisbane based supplier selling these for less than the delivered cost of the ebay one? I'm wasting $140 in postage & insurance, surely there has to be a smart Brisbanite (possibly an oxymoron to you southerners, but I'll perservere) selling these for a good cost to the retail client.

Cheers

Goomba

I have the series 3 Keg King and have not had any issues with it whatsoever. I recommend getting the series 3 version as this fridge will go from 0C-28C rather than the series 2 which is 2c-10c. You could also use it as a secondary fermenting fridge without the need for a temp controller if ever needed.

Yes it also holds 3 x 19L + 2.6kg gas bottle and I have no doubt you will certainly find a use for the other tap and space in time. Stout, lagar, ale, ginger beer, soda water, cordial etc. Also the added space for conditioning or just storing a keg is always handy.

I know you said you don't need more than 2 kegs.

But the sheer utility if having 2 online and 1 "hot spare" which is conditioning/carbonating should not be dismissed lightly

Alternatively, consider soda or cider for the missus ;)

I've had two taps with 3 kegs....

4 taps with 4 kegs

and 4 taps with 5 kegs

And not having the spare keg with the 4 tap system was a major PITA.

In many ways, if you don't drink beer fast, then having more taps is more worthwhile, as its the only way you're going to see some variety ;)

I'm getting a Bar built and have designed a place under the bench for the Keg fridge to locate.

Will these things fit in the usual size space under the bench? (like a dishwasher space).
The dimensions listed say something else.

BOG

Found a brisbane based supplier on ebay, that has the 2 font, 3 keg fitting ones with reg, fittings, etc for $550, with free delivery within 25km of Mt Gravatt (which I am just).

Looks like he'll get my money on the weekend.

Goomba

In many ways, if you don't drink beer fast, then having more taps is more worthwhile, as its the only way you're going to see some variety ;)

^this man speaks the truth.

One of the kegs can have carbonated water in it. I have one of Ross's setups with 3 kegs/ 3 taps, and the left tap always has water. The water at beer serving pressure is not as fizzy as normal soda water, but it is excellent having cold fizzy water on tap. I drink it straight, while the wife and kids add cordial etc to it in the glass.

QldKev

Too True!

I have a big fridge with 6 taps, but one ALWAYS has Carbonated water on it. I drink 1-2 glasses every morning, and don't mind a Gin and "Tonic" made with it either.

The other thing to consider is this:

Your kegging setup will last MANY years.. a lot longer than those crappy taps that they supply with the fridge. In the long run, what's another $100 to have GOOD taps, that never leak, never get stuck closed, and always have a perfect pour? I have Perlick 525 taps and I would never have anything else. My guess is that Ross would add a couple of these for less than $100 extra over the crap taps. For a lifetime investment, I would definitely spend the extra $100.. maybe less.

Just my 5 cents worth (Inflation!)

The other thing to consider is this:

Your kegging setup will last MANY years.. a lot longer than those crappy taps that they supply with the fridge. In the long run, what's another $100 to have GOOD taps, that never leak, never get stuck closed, and always have a perfect pour? I have Perlick 525 taps and I would never have anything else. My guess is that Ross would add a couple of these for less than $100 extra over the crap taps. For a lifetime investment, I would definitely spend the extra $100.. maybe less.

Just my 5 cents worth (Inflation!)

I can see your point, but I'm looking at a saving of around $200 between reg (micromatic) and 2 tap font, plus lines. Lines are nothing, I know, but the rest means I've got it sorted other than kegs (which I'm about to obtain), co2 (sourced) and QDs.

$200 is significant in the immediate term, just to get away from bottling. I can clear another $200 out in smaller batches after the initial purchase.

Goomba

Found a brisbane based supplier on ebay, that has the 2 font, 3 keg fitting ones with reg, fittings, etc for $550, with free delivery within 25km of Mt Gravatt (which I am just).

Looks like he'll get my money on the weekend.

Goomba

LRG,

If you want a kegerator with crap font & reg we'll happily beat any ebay offer.

Cheers Ross

Latest posts

Back