Kegerator Finally Done!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattSR

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

A few months ago I realised I wanted kegs, and given that I don't have much space to live in, and no garage/pool room, I would need something that looked good in my living room. Getting an old second hand fridge wasn't an option so I bought one of the series three kegerators that you see around the place. My local HBS had them on special so it worked out cheaper to buy it from them so I did.

Once I had it set up at my old place (it had a garage lol) it was great - only downside was that I wanted three taps. The standard two tap font worked welland looked good, but I just had to have a triple font to match the three kegs that the fridge could hold, so I bought a font and three dorado style ripoff taps for about $250. Worst taps ever so I sent them back to the place I got them for a refund. Next I got a triple tap font from Craftbrewer, and the quality is TOPS. The pour is great and finish and quality is tops.

For gas, I bit the bullet and bought a 6.8kg MKOL cylinder and a TeSuCo dual regulator. Inside the kegerator, the line coming from each side of a reg splits in two via JG fittings, and then goes to two corny quick disconnects.

Now that my new place is all set up properly and has a beer fridge I wanted to share it on here. Sadly theres no room for a 3V setup or a fermenting fridge so its all done elsewhere...

Cheers,
Matt

IMG_0056.JPG

Looking schmicko mate. What brew do you have there? Lovely colour and creamy head.

Hehe, It's a St Peters Brewery fresh wort kit - Amarillo ale. tastes pretty good but I find them to be a tad underhopped for some reason.. Otherwise its a good brew :)

If you dont mind me asking Matt how much all up was you're setup

Hmm now I add it all up, it wasn't cheap..

I paid $600 for the kegerator itself, about $50 for the driptray, the font and taps were $300, gas cylinder and regulator $480 plus a few kegs and other bits and peices here and there and its probably $1500 or so. (fark)

I paid $600 for the kegerator itself, about $50 for the driptray, the font and taps were $300, gas cylinder and regulator $480 plus a few kegs and other bits and peices here and there and its probably $1500 or so. (fark)

thats a great setup,

im looking at getting the Kegerator from Kegking, i have heard that the taps arent that great and the regulator needs to be changed which ill do....

Anything else i need to do to get the most out of a kegerator?

Nup, just loads of beer to put in it :)

The standard font I got with mine was OK I guess but it was only on there for a few weeks.

Holy cow... Thats heaps. If I told my wife getting into kegs was going to cost that much, you could just imagine her response... :p

Holy cow... Thats heaps. If I told my wife getting into kegs was going to cost that much, you could just imagine her response... :p

My wife loves it when Is ay I am spending lots on brewing because that gives her an excuse to spend lots - bitch! :)

thats a great setup,

im looking at getting the Kegerator from Kegking, i have heard that the taps arent that great and the regulator needs to be changed which ill do....

Anything else i need to do to get the most out of a kegerator?

I have one of these. I have no problem with the reg and the taps, although I've seen better, are fine until they shit themselves. When they do is when I will get decent ones. For now though there is nothing wrong with them whatsoever. I know the earlier versions of this had real crap taps but they have upgraded there specs in the later generation.

I can attest to Amber's comments, my taps are fine, regs are OK and even the gas connections don't leak - did a soapy water test! All in all a great bit of kit.

I got into kegs for around $400.

2 x kegs
2.6kg gas cylinder (owned, not rented)
Regulator
Picnic tap
Non-return valve and disconnects
Beer/gas line

Pay cash, and they'll do you a good deal.

2 x kegs
Regulator
Picnic tap
Beer/gas line

[my local brew shop wants $200 for the gas bottle full and $400 for the 2 kegs and the rest. where did you get your setup?]

my local brew shop wants $200 for the gas bottle full and $400 for the 2 kegs and the rest. where did you get your setup?
Keg King. Not sure what delivery costs are, and it would obviously be infeasible for you to pay cash, but it's still going to save you a motza over what your dude is quoting you.

The bottle was quoted at $200, with a discount for cash.

Keg King. Not sure what delivery costs are, and it would obviously be infeasible for you to pay cash, but it's still going to save you a motza over what your dude is quoting you.

The bottle was quoted at $200, with a discount for cash.

If you spend $200+ Keg King won't charge delivery fees. We so they say on their price list.

2 x kegs
Regulator
Picnic tap
Beer/gas line

FWIW, I got most of my stuff from BB, CB and USA

Somewhere in the region of $500 (fire extinguisher off ppl I know in the biz)

18122010_002.jpg

:beerbang:

Nev

Back