Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddy401

Reaction score
hi everyone,

i recently got a 20L keg and am wondering how cheap i can be - is it possible to fill the keg with beer, add the right amount of sugar and use that to carbonate it instead of the usual co2 etc (that stuff is a bit too expensive right now) i realise it would then have to pretty much all be drank in one night, or the beer would go flat by the end (as the pressure decreases..) so i would be using it as a keg for a party.
would this work? then i wold only need the tap, right...and any ideas on how much space to leave in the top of the keg so its not overcarbonated?

..or is this all a bit too risky, i dont want it to explode and kill somebody or worse be full of flat beer

thanks!

Yes you can do that. However, I suggest getting one of these as you will still need gas to fully dispense the liquid. You will need a tap or Pluto gun and provided conditions are met then the keg will keep for ages, no need to drink it all in one night. By using sugar to prime the keg you will end up with a little sediment at the bottom but really nothing much to worry about. Pour one or two beers and Bob's your Father's brother.

Just leave about an inch or 2 below the gas tube and that should be enough headspace. If you over prime the keg it won't explode. It should have a PRV to prevent this.

hi everyone,

i recently got a 20L keg and am wondering how cheap i can be - is it possible to fill the keg with beer, add the right amount of sugar and use that to carbonate it instead of the usual co2 etc (that stuff is a bit too expensive right now) i realise it would then have to pretty much all be drank in one night, or the beer would go flat by the end (as the pressure decreases..) so i would be using it as a keg for a party.
would this work? then i wold only need the tap, right...and any ideas on how much space to leave in the top of the keg so its not overcarbonated?

..or is this all a bit too risky, i dont want it to explode and kill somebody or worse be full of flat beer

thanks!
the keg won't explode.
they have a relief v/v and have a working pressure rating of 130psi

For a party keg you can certainly prime with sugar, but would end up with a lot of sediment in the bottom and if transporting to somewhere, the beer would be fairly hazy for the whole pour - not the best advertisement for Home Brew (that is if you are trying to impress folk :rolleyes: )
I have a keg charger as mentioned, and you would need around 3 bulbs to serve a keg, so not cheap but ok for once or twice a year usage.

The Poms have been using a similar system for decades, using pressure barrels - had a couple myself in the UK. They run on CO2 bulbs + initial priming. The priming will only get you about half way through the keg, then you need to supplement with gas.

A "half way" house is to get a regulator and connections and run off a sodastream type cylinder initially. A lot of guys bring their kegs to club days using that system, or on Holiday. PM Pocket Beers, I'm sure he won't mind advising. You should always be able to sell the sodastream bottle.

I recently just got this setup and will be using it on my 9lt keg. Planning on naturally carbing and ditching the first glass of sediment. If there is too much sediment I may cut the dip tube a little to leave most at the bottom.

http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_p...products_id=315

Cost me around $65 delivered and they sell the bulbs for under $2 each so they can fit a fair few in the box without any extra postage. The tap isnt the best quality but for the price and amount it will be used cant go wrong.

Naturally carbonate the keg and take it round to the party a few days beforehand. Sit it upside down slightly tilted to one side in a fridge so the IN post is at the lowest point - the aim is to get all the sediment to sit right around the GAS IN post.

Attach a quick disconnect with line and bronco tap to the GAS IN post and pour the first 500ml of mostly sediment into a bucket. The next few glasses will be cloudy, but after a few liters it'll be clear.

Occasionally push the valuve on the OUT post to let more air in and keep it pouring.

Good advice, sort of like a real ale cask.

cask_ale.jpg

I have always wondered how these would go considering there is no line whatsoever so I don't know about the resistance. Surely they would have to pour ok or they wouldn't be selling them :icon_offtopic: sorry for going off topic but is froth a problem when using these?

I recently just got this setup and will be using it on my 9lt keg. Planning on naturally carbing and ditching the first glass of sediment. If there is too much sediment I may cut the dip tube a little to leave most at the bottom.

http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_p...products_id=315

Cost me around $65 delivered and they sell the bulbs for under $2 each so they can fit a fair few in the box without any extra postage. The tap isnt the best quality but for the price and amount it will be used cant go wrong.

hey fifey yeah this is me. do u still homebrew now nicks in adel?

Yeah, finishing off a couple of batches now. Want to go all grain soon. Might be up in Adelaide in a while myself, looking for a job up there and want to go to uni.

Yeah, finishing off a couple of batches now. Want to go all grain soon. Might be up in Adelaide in a while myself, looking for a job up there and want to go to uni.

ah cool good luck with that, yeah im well n truely still in the KnB phase, but im getting good beer now so cant complain!

i dont want it to explode and kill somebody or worse be full of flat beer
I love the relative rating of the two problems

Might kill someone
OR WORSE full of flat beer.

You have your priorities right.

Latest posts

Back