Keg..?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddy401

Reaction score
hi,
this is probably a stupid question..
if i were to bulk prime and then instead of bottling my beer add it to a keg (assuming enough beer is made to fill the keg properly) and sealed the keg and allowed time for carbonation, would the beer be carbed? im guessing once you pour one beer the rest would go flat (like opening stubby and not finishing it)

i dont know anything about kegging so go easy! :icon_cheers:

Yes you can do this, but if naturally carbonating in the keg, use half the sugar you would normally use compared to bottling.

im guessing once you pour one beer the rest would go flat (like opening stubby and not finishing it)

You would also need a gas setup to keep the beer carbed and to keep pushing it out :)

Yep, naturally carbing the keg works just like the bottle but with not as much sugar. The difference is a bottle has 750ml and is consumed in 1 hit being poured into a glass, a keg has 19litres and will take days or weeks to consume, and needs some way to maintain the pressure as well as dispense.

This means you can carb it naturally, but need CO2 to dispense it, and to maintain the pressure.

thats interesting, does anyone know anymore? surely theres a reason people dont do this already (or do they?), and if you did get the stuff as above, would you need a pressure gauge of some sort to know how much CO2 to add?

I think the reason people don't do this is that the cost of new/refill bulbs are more expensive then a full tank.
The reason you'd use those is so its portable.

thats interesting, does anyone know anymore? surely theres a reason people dont do this already (or do they?), and if you did get the stuff as above, would you need a pressure gauge of some sort to know how much CO2 to add?

The refills are really expensive, and it isnt the gas for kegging that is the cost, it is the reg.
With this thing you don't have a regulator to maintain pressue, gauge pressure and alternate from carbing to dispensing accurately, so a lot od guesswork.

Back