'keg'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddy401

Reaction score
hey all,

i read all about kegs online and it seems like a good way to go to make storage and drinking easier - only problem is im a student with no money....so i was wondering, would it be possible to transfer the beer once fermentation is complete to another fermenter (just another 25L plastic airtight drum with a tap) then bulk prime, put it in an old fridge that still runs and drink it straight from there? or would i just be making a huge beer bomb?
this may all sound stupid, but thanks in advance for any replies :icon_cheers:

hey all,

i read all about kegs online and it seems like a good way to go to make storage and drinking easier - only problem is im a student with no money....so i was wondering, would it be possible to transfer the beer once fermentation is complete to another fermenter (just another 25L plastic airtight drum with a tap) then bulk prime, put it in an old fridge that still runs and drink it straight from there? or would i just be making a huge beer bomb?
this may all sound stupid, but thanks in advance for any replies :icon_cheers:

this should answer your question

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...st&p=411029

Well you could do that but your beer wont hold any carbonation = flat. The fermenter wont hold enough pressure. Because the beer needs to be kept under pressure for it to absorb CO2. Typical serving pressure is between 70 100kpa the plastic container and lid just wont be able to maintain this. Look into getting a Cornelius keg www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/default.asp?CID=36

And a C02 bottle with regulator and appropriate connections. Some people have had success with the Tap-a-draft system www.ibrew.com.au/html/equipment/tapadraft/tapadraft.html
While others have not.
Or even try a garden sprayer party keg as in here. http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...21201&st=20

There are options but using a fermenter as a keg is not one of them.

Doh... Slow typing

Couldn't you just get 1 corny, naturally carb it, and dispense using the "party keg" bits? (hose, picnic tap and the little CO2 bulbs)?

Typical serving pressure is between 70 100kpa

that is arguable... I balance carb my kegs and serve at 50kpa and any locals will testify that it works well. 100kpa and itd be way overcarbed and dispense as foam.

Back