Keg Poring Nothing But Foam.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicelore

Reaction score
Hey guys.

Well iv got my 1st keg hooked up to my reg and a bronco tap.

I had a little trouble carbing so im not to sure on if the beers carbed ok. But i did force carb and the kegs been sitting off the gas.

The problem iv been having from the start is head head and more head..

I was wondering if i had to fast flow ( it seems really fast. ) if so should i be using a long line with a Bronco ?

Cheers Vice.

how did you carb? how long did tyou shake it ? sounds overcarbed, like my first one. what pressure is the reg set at the moment?

lots of head+no bubbles=overcarbed or line way too short.
lots of head+bubbles=slightly overcarbed, or carbed OK but line too short
no head+lots of bubbles, followed 10minutes later by lots of head no bubbles= carb OK but line to long
no head+no bubbles=undercarbed.
;)

Sounds overcarbed to me, I force carb and use a bronco tap and have had no problems.. ;)

Ross mentioned in another thread somewhere that he undercarbs now and just sets at serving pressure to balance.. I followed that lead and find that after about 2 days after force carbing, it is carbed up nicely.. :)

Plus, with the Bronco tap, you dont always have to turn the gas on to pour, I find that there can be enough pressure in there to dispense, if I have to turn the gas on, my reg is set to 70psi

Cheers

I prob carb rolled for around 6 mins total as i coudnt get the presure right. I wasnt shaking hard enough...

So i would say defently over carbed. Im getting lots of head+no bubbles.

The reg is at 100kpa atm.

Does a bronco tap need a long line ?? I read that they dont need a long one at all.

Also can i bring the carb level down?? or do i just suck it up, pour head and sit for 10 mins then drink ?

shake the shit out of the keg and then purge the pressure, wait a bit, shake the shit and purge... better if it warms up as the bubbles will get released from the beer :)

I prob carb rolled for around 6 mins total as i coudnt get the presure right. I wasnt shaking hard enough...

So i would say defently over carbed. Im getting lots of head+no bubbles.

The reg is at 100kpa atm.

Does a bronco tap need a long line ?? I read that they dont need a long one at all.

Also can i bring the carb level down?? or do i just suck it up, pour head and sit for 10 mins then drink ?

Disconnect the gas from the keg.

Use the pressure relief to get all the co2 out of the keg.

Hook the gas back up at 40kpa.

Give it another go and see what happens. I'd say if the beer is coming out of the tap really quick you had the pressure too high for the temperature, otherwise as above sounds overcarbed.

To reduce the carb level disconnect the gas, purge the co2 out of the headspace of the keg, and let sit. Every few hours purge more co2 out. That's what I did anyway.

shake the shit out of the keg and then purge the pressure, wait a bit, shake the shit and purge... better if it warms up as the bubbles will get released from the beer :)

If the kegs full and you do that it'll get messy!!

If the kegs full and you do that it'll get messy!!

you can tell if beer is going to spray out the top, as soon as a bit of froth seeps out stop and wait 10 minutes and then release pressure.

Exactly the same as for any other tap. Use crozdogs balancing chart in the articles section....link

degas as per the same article.

You can also take your keg out of the fridge, lock the pressure relief valve open (pull and turn 90 degrees) and leave overnight. A shake every now and then will help too (with valve shut - dont want foamy beer everywhere!).

I had issues with my keg posts too, fixed that now waiting for my system to settle down and reach equilibrium.

Alternate purging method is to vent the keg completely....wait 5 minutes, then there should be enough pressure to pour. Pour beer, which due to low pressure pour, should be fizzy, but otherwise OK. Drink. Repeat. Continue repeating untill things blur, or beer fails to pour. At this stage, enough CO2 should be vented that you can just put back to pouring pressure, and wobble unsteadily off to bed.....

Alternate purging method is to vent the keg completely....wait 5 minutes, then there should be enough pressure to pour. Pour beer, which due to low pressure pour, should be fizzy, but otherwise OK. Drink. Repeat. Continue repeating untill things blur, or beer fails to pour. At this stage, enough CO2 should be vented that you can just put back to pouring pressure, and wobble unsteadily off to bed.....

Wobbling is a necessity in this day and age Butters - I like it. ;)

LOL now thats a good sounding solution..

I must admitt im loving the keg even though its foamy.. I really lose count of how much iv drank though...

Cheers guys.

Latest posts

Back