Keg modding for floating dip tube to begin dry hopping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That doesn't fix my next problem though...how to do the same on those mini kegs with the tiny diameter openings....

I wouldn't even worry about it...
Just do the other options in a bigger keg and just daisy chain it across?

At the moment it's sitting in my keg filtering an IPA.

All you need to do is:
  • Drill a hole through the screw on lid from your hop tube that's large enough to fit your beer post through it.
  • Screw the lid back on the hop tube, then clean and sanitise.
  • Unscrew the beer post from the keg you want to use.
  • Poke the tube of your beer post into the empty hop tube.
  • Push it down and screw back the beer post.
  • Fill the keg with your favourite hoppy PA, IPA, NEIPA, etc.
  • Enjoy said beer without hop matter clogging your beer post. You can even dry hop into the keg if that's your thing. The hop tube acts as a filter.
Hopefully the 1000 words painted a clear enough picture. If not, this is where I got the idea http://scottjanish.com/my-favorite-way-to-dry-hop-loose-in-primary-and-kegs/ Scroll down to where you see the heading Keg Filter
Magic, thanks ABG, I will take a look at this........once I get a hop tube which is imminent.

Had a bit of success with these
1589264047482.png

For some reason you need to include "shrimp" in your eBay search i.e.
Filter Intake Protector Shrimp AU seller | eBay
There are lots of others and I had to replace the rubber grommet with a different sized one (EDPM rubber from Jaycar), might even be one small enough to fit into a mini keg.
Mark

Had a bit of success with these
View attachment 118144
For some reason you need to include "shrimp" in your eBay search i.e.
Filter Intake Protector Shrimp AU seller | eBay
There are lots of others and I had to replace the rubber grommet with a different sized one (EDPM rubber from Jaycar), might even be one small enough to fit into a mini keg.
Mark

Thanks for that MHB. I have always been of the opinion that it's best to keep solids out of the keg in the first place and leave dry hopping and additions of solids to the fermenter only. With that said I think there would be a fair bit of demand for this product as a few people have asked us for something similar. If you were interested we could make a similar one like this if you want and have a removable end cap so its easy to clean from the inside. Do you think that would be useful?

I mostly set it up for making keg sized batches of cold filtered coffee, at 3kg of coffee a batch (commercial experiment)
Personally I share the opinion that for brewing solids should be kept out of packaging. You don't need to dry hop bottles so you don't need to dry hop kegs, that's what unitanks/bright-tanks... are for.

Considering the price of the filters at <$5, and that they slip off the dip tube (which leaves a fair sized hole in the top, without the grommet I could get a test tube brush in there no worries) if you need to do more than just back wash them to get them clean, meh - wouldn't bother over engineering them.
I'm not in the market for any more, cant tell how many you would expect to sell, I'd probably just get in touch with whoever is making them and grab a few to have a play with first up.
Could be a useful product but I wouldn't invest a bomb in R&D.
Mark

I mostly set it up for making keg sized batches of cold filtered coffee, at 3kg of coffee a batch (commercial experiment)
Personally I share the opinion that for brewing solids should be kept out of packaging. You don't need to dry hop bottles so you don't need to dry hop kegs, that's what unitanks/bright-tanks... are for.

Considering the price of the filters at <$5, and that they slip off the dip tube (which leaves a fair sized hole in the top, without the grommet I could get a test tube brush in there no worries) if you need to do more than just back wash them to get them clean, meh - wouldn't bother over engineering them.
I'm not in the market for any more, cant tell how many you would expect to sell, I'd probably just get in touch with whoever is making them and grab a few to have a play with first up.
Could be a useful product but I wouldn't invest a bomb in R&D.
Mark

No worries. Thanks for that Mark. We will save our R&D resources for other projects in that case. I will buy a few of those myself and try them out. Thanks for the link Mark!

Yes, only in appearance with those little lugs on the side.
Have been using them for years on the end of silicon hose to fill kegs

Yes we tried the ones on ebay first but the tubing did not fit and there was not way to easily secure the float. As a result we made some new injection moulding so the barb was suitable to fit onto 5-6.5mm ID tubing and then put loops on one side. We found the standard ones on ebay had a large hose inlet barb which was more suitable for tubing that was 8-10mm ID. If you use silicone tubing this large the float is not buoyant enough to float the tube as its just too heavy.

Had of we gone with an existing one on ebay we would have been able to sell the filter for $2.95 but for $3.95 we could make a custom made dip tube filter unit designed for purpose. I think that most of our customers would probably prefer to spend the extra $1 and see that money put into tooling to make the product designed specifically for the application.

Had of we gone with an existing one on ebay we would have been able to sell the filter for $2.95 but for $3.95 we could make a custom made dip tube filter unit designed for purpose. I think that most of our customers would probably prefer to spend the extra $1 and see that money put into tooling to make the product designed specifically for the application.

I would definitely be keen on a couple of these - it would make some processes much easier, like using a keg for one step of a double or triple dry hop (dry hop #1 in the fermzilla then transfer to a purged keg with hops and one of these filters for dry hop #2, then transfer to a purged serving keg).

I have done this with the hops in one of the SS hop tubes instead of with the floating dip tube, but I find that the hops just don't seem to get all of their oils out in to the beer in the same way that dry hopping commando does, especially once you've got >100g in the hop tube.

Latest posts

Back