ebay dry hopping ss "tubes" for kegs, any good?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maheel

Reaction score
any one bought one of the SS 300 micron mesh dry hopping keg tubes things

i have a large tea ball but thinking of getting a longer one to let hops float around a little better

opinions of them ?

cheers

Hopefully you got a better one than a mate of mine - his rusted after the second brew, despite what appeared to be a thorough wash and air dry on a rack...

I don't put any hop matter in the keg any more after having to replace all of the lines in my kegerator font a couple of years ago... so much green gunk thanks to a tea ball that decided to lose its clasp + an intoxicated person trying the other taps because the problem wasn't initially obvious...

I bought one in case any of my IPA's weren't hoppy enough. That hasn't happened yet

i wondered how good the SS was in them....

got to get a gas refill a the LHBS so will see what they have

Hopefully you got a better one than a mate of mine - his rusted after the second brew, despite what appeared to be a thorough wash and air dry on a rack...

I don't put any hop matter in the keg any more after having to replace all of the lines in my kegerator font a couple of years ago... so much green gunk thanks to a tea ball that decided to lose its clasp + an intoxicated person trying the other taps because the problem wasn't initially obvious...

I concur with this, I used a tea ball in my keg, the hops expand a lot in the beer and forced the clasp open and hops out into the keg, 50PSI couldn't get the beer through, ended up having to transfer the beer to another keg and remove/clean the beer spear and connectors which where blocked with hops. The transferred beer also had a lot of hops it in so was a bit of a disaster as every pour was full of hop sediment, real shame as was a cracking DIPA but need to put it through a tea strainer each pour.

Lesson learnt, I wont be keg hopping in a tea ball again, might use a hopsack if I ever go down that route again.

hop cannister.JPG
I have just finished using one but a little different in that I drilled a hole in top of canister and put the dip tube inside and let the hops float around naturally for the dry hop I done this for 4 days and the cold crashed and transferred under pressure to a new keg . I only used 30g for this experiment and the transfer looked quite clear but I used biofine aswell when cold crashing in dry hop keg and also in receiving keg . No rust on my cannisters after drying . Just poured a sample and its a little cloudy after moving from my cold crash fridge but no hop floaties at all , just needs to carb up a bit more , and it smells like a hop bomb and only had 30g of citra

That's a very good idea.. using the canister to keep hops out, rather than keeping them in. I'll give this a go.

ed: haven't had rust on mine either and have done 10+ brews with them.

ive got one and used it twice over 2 yrs, first go was 100gms of centennial and after 2 weeks i removed it and the middle of the hops were still dry.....

second use of it was with much less around 56g from memory and i got hop bits in the beer for the entire keg.....

so its bee unused since and recently considered this for keeping hops out of the dip tube like shown by gloveski as I keg dry hop with a shortenned dip tube to allow MAX 100g of dry hop without getting it sucked up during transfer.

Back