Keg King ROBOBREW 35L SINGLE VESSEL BREWERY

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used a flat one from my roasting pan on my second brew.

So much easier than the one that comes with the Robobrew.

After the first brew I thew mine in a vice and bent the legs out a little so it wasn't tight around the urn. still can be a little fiddly sitting the basket on with those ducky little holder things but it's better than it was

I use the now defunct Brewmate, anyone still using this and have their settings to would like to share?

About to put down my third brew over the Aus day long weekend. To date my brewhouse efficiency has been realy poor. Is there a consensus yet as to what size the grains should be crushed? Currently milling at 1.1 mm but plan to increased to 1.25mm. I recirc the wort with a pump and I guess there is a fine balance b/w efficiency and also having a stuck sparge

I can't comment on the grain crush as I buy mine pre-cracked. Rice hulls worked really well to reduce the stuck mash/sparge. I just added 500gms. I guess that doesn't help with efficiency though.

When you say stuck sparge do you mean no drainage at all or a slow trickle?

Do you dump all the sparge water in at once or a litre or 2 at a time?

paulmclaren11 said:
When you say stuck sparge do you mean no drainage at all or a slow trickle?

Do you dump all the sparge water in at once or a litre or 2 at a time?
I generally will pour in 2L at a time. But what I'm finding without the rice husks is that the grains will soak all of this up and hold it.

Before I even got to that point though, I was having trouble with recirculating the wort as it would all end up in the malt pipe and come close to going below drain valve level. When lifting the malt pipe you were basically lifting all wort out of the kettle with it.

It would very slowly drip through - not even a trickle.

With the rice husks - no problems at all.

Bob_Loblaw said:
Is there a Grainfather profile on Brewmate? I've heard the settings are very similar.
Not as far as I know. I only stopped using brewmate for brewsmith a little while back but there wasn't one before I ditched it. Mind you, I've heard a few say the brewsmith Grainfather profile isn't accurate either (to the actual grainfather).

sparkatron said:
Not as far as I know. I only stopped using brewmate for brewsmith a little while back but there wasn't one before I ditched it. Mind you, I've heard a few say the brewsmith Grainfather profile isn't accurate either (to the actual grainfather).
From what I understand the Beersmith profile is accurate (as an example: http://back-2-basics.com.au/How-To-Page/GRAINFATHER-profile-beer-smith), if you manually add the deadspace (3.5L) to the mash water volume and subtract it from the sparge volume. Also have to change the grain absorption from the Beersmith default 0.96 ish to 0.8. I'm sure if you did the same using the Robobrew's deadspace it would work fine.

Edited for more detail.

paulmclaren11 said:
Wow.. never had that and hope I don't!

How much water are you mashing with?
I was using the Grainfather online calculator for mash and sparge water which was telling me to add only around 15-16L to mash. I think If I added around 20L this would solve the problem of running dry in the main kettle.

But the rice hulls make it run so much smoother anyway.

Cool might give the rice hulls... my first brew I used 22ltrs in the mash and sparged with about 8 ltrs.

Another day, another 2 brews done on the Robobrew.

About the only issue I have now is with the temperature difference the system displays during the mash.

The display might show (for example) 66 degrees during the mash but when I manually pour off 6-8 litres to recirculate through the system the temp display will drop by 2-4 degrees.

Planning to use a pump on my next few brews but still can't argue with the price point of the unit for what you get.

Overall, I'm still happy with this system.

Bob_Loblaw said:
I generally will pour in 2L at a time. But what I'm finding without the rice husks is that the grains will soak all of this up and hold it.

Before I even got to that point though, I was having trouble with recirculating the wort as it would all end up in the malt pipe and come close to going below drain valve level. When lifting the malt pipe you were basically lifting all wort out of the kettle with it.

It would very slowly drip through - not even a trickle.

With the rice husks - no problems at all.
Well I experienced this yesterday. Had a brew shop mill the grain for me and was obviously too fine even after said they know how to mill for a robo...
Suffice to say I will be milling my own from now on. Courser is the go. First brew no issues at all using the pump. This time the malt pipe wanted to overflow. Rice hulls next time too. Also the temp variations give my the shizens but it is a good system for the price. Just need a few more under my belt to work the system out.

paulmclaren11 said:
Well I experienced this yesterday. Had a brew shop mill the grain for me and was obviously too fine even after said they know how to mill for a robo...
Suffice to say I will be milling my own from now on. Courser is the go. First brew no issues at all using the pump. This time the malt pipe wanted to overflow. Rice hulls next time too. Also the temp variations give my the shizens but it is a good system for the price. Just need a few more under my belt to work the system out.

Do you run a pump or are you manually recirculating?

paulmclaren11 said:
I picked up my robo brew and pump on Friday. Haven't even unboxed it. I got the grains for my first batch milled at the shop and they look nice and course, so I'm hoping this isn't an issue. How fast do you run the recirc from the pump?

Siborg said:
I picked up my robo brew and pump on Friday. Haven't even unboxed it. I got the grains for my first batch milled at the shop and they look nice and course, so I'm hoping this isn't an issue. How fast do you run the recirc from the pump?
Not overly fast as you don't want it to blast the grain bed (my understanding anyways). A nice gentle flow is all I go for (when I don't get a stuck mash!). Just keep an eye on things to make sure it's recirculating well or better still do as other have and get some rice husks to be safe.

Did you get a ball valve for the outlet on the pump?

Latest posts

Back