Keg King pump rating

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep sweet, just picked one up and it's 0.11A which is a lot more like it.

Should be able to get a fairly decent flow, definitely ample. I'm not sure how much tubing most people have, but I have maybe 1.5m on the discharge of my LBP and when recirculating there is essentially only a few inches of head. During transfer - worst case - there might be 0.5m of head.

Because the curve is fairly flat vs the LBP, speed control would suit the pump a lot better as a small change in back pressure (from a ball valve) causes a big change in flow. The LBP is probably more suited to a ball valve on the discharge but I think the KK would be best with speed control... has anyone tried one of these?

http://au.element14.com/ebm-papst/ree-10/speed-controller-manual-230vac/dp/2474663

FYI the curve I put together. I'm not claiming it is 100% right but it gives you an idea:
KK-LBP-pump curve.png

The link you provided would certainly be a good way to turn a cheap pump into an expensive one. I've had no issues running my Kaixins at barely a trickle for 45 minutes or more with nary an issue. Is this pump to be used in an automated system that would necessitate the need for speed control?

Yeah I don't really think that would be an issue, but more for consistency over a few different flows, i.e. transfer, mash ramp and mash hold/recirc (particularly for sparging). The difference between 2-4lpm, 10lpm and 12-13lpm would be hard to be repeatable with a ball valve, particularly in that middle range. That middle range repeatability would be very easy with a speed controller, and difficult but cheap with a ball valve - moreso with a RIMS setup (with 1.2-1.5m of tube vs 5-10m of tube in a HERMS).

I know spending $110 on a speed controller isn't for everyone and this pushes the total pump cost from $75 up to nearly $200. I think with a HERMS setup the 'touchiness' of a ball valve would be damped a lot by the extra coil length, but with very little restriction on my RIMS I think it will be very touchy, while $110 is ok for me and gives me wide, smooth, repeatable flow control.

Now that you mention it it would be good to have a relay latch a resistor once it hits setpoint to pull the flow right back...

Further to this, that motor speed controller works a treat.

It is however just a very simple triac controller, not a variable frequency drive or anything flash. So although it's a nice kit there are a lot cheaper ways out there to do speed control on this pump as Camo says - if you're into that sort of thing. For example:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/130955911790?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=107&chn=ps

Good news is, as above, it works a treat - so essentially if there is a fan speed dimmer rated to 1A or so out there on the market, this will work fine with this pump.

Mounted like this I have no suction problems and it drains well:
kkpump_mount.jpg
(middle top is the mash tun drain, background is the exit of the RIMS tube, right/bottom is the drain from the kettle/HLT in 3/4" tube)

Latest posts

Back