Keg King MKII Pump - Low Flow Rate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm following this thread with much anticipation that the issue at hand can be solved here. I am having similar issues with what I'd assume to be a similar style system. Masters brewery raises a good point RE: the temp leaving the HERMS being more important; which rules out my idea of raising the temp in the HLT. I don't think there is going too much of an issue making smaller temp inclinations like mash to lauter temps, however to heat from a protein rest to mash temps in say 15min will defiantly need some upgrades on my system. If you look at the keg king website instructions for their 3v electric brewery they just dough in at mash temps.

What temperature ramp are you using in the HLT when you are trying to raise the mash temperature?

Whoops! Missed that obvious post completely.
Yes I think you're underspecced with that pump for that coil. I've got a 23l system (37 x 2 + 45l kettle) and I get really poor flow rate through a 2.7m coil of Ø12 pipe. It's enough for my system with 2400W of input power, but I wouldn't want it any lower. Chugger and March pumps outperform it and will be up to the task.
Put the KK pump on the HLT to circulate it, and you'll get better heat transfer to your coil (because moving liquid is significantly better for convection than still liquid). If you're still not happy, I'd reduce the length of the coil.

Re the March pump: assuming 29 watts electric gives about 12 watts hydraulic, the max flow rate through that coil would be of the order of 6 l/min on water, even less on wort. Doesn't sound like enough of an improvement over what you've got to be worthwhile.

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
What temperature ramp are you using in the HLT when you are trying to raise the mash temperature?
I run 2x 2200w elements when ramping. I'd have in the vicinity of 40L of water to heat as I keep the coil fully submerged until I'm sparging.

My step mashes may be along the lines of 55C to 66C where the recipe calls for a 15 minute step time, sometimes 30 minutes. The HLT gets up mostly on time but the MT will lag up to about 8 degrees before slowing down within 3 degrees of the target temp.

Ok that should have you ramping at about 1 minute / oC if you are not transferring any heat to the mash (theoretically it's 40 seconds but we'll allow some thermal losses).

Fill in the blanks: Ramp 55 oC -> 65 oC

Mash temp at start = 55
HLT temp at start = ?
HLT temp at end = ?
Mash temp at end = 65

After reading some other HERMS threads on here, It seems I was making the rookie mistake of being concerned over the grain bed/ MT temp. Is it possible this is your problem also?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong - from what I have been reading it is the temp reading of wort leaving the HX to work off when running a HERMS system.

I'm running exactly the same pump as you; I am going to reduce my hose sizes to an absolute minimum and bring the pump up so it sits as close as possible underneath the HLT and MT to reduce friction and lift.

I have added one of the little ceramic Keg King pumps to recirculate the water in the HLT and found this has made a big difference in ramp times also but still not quite hitting the numbers I'm after in time.

Good luck.

Adrian, i am in the similar situation like you and thinking to upgrade the wort pump with the 65w KK pump.
With what did you end up with? Have you solved the issue?
Cheers
Oli

Latest posts

Back