Keg King Plastic Pluto Gun and Chemical flavour

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micblair

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that their beer picks up a taint between pours (no less than 1 h)? I've contacted KK and they are adamant that all parts are either ABS or 304 (food safe, albeit in this case sourced and manufactured in China). Whilst I have every reason to believe the good people at KK, this gun turns perfectly acceptable beer into something undrinkable only until the volume in the gun has been purged.

What are you using to clean it? Is it flushed after cleaning?

Cant comment on kk guns as for once I did something right the first time and bought andale full ss. I can say the andale pours a perfect beer every time, no taste issues. Might be worth thinkin about biting the bullet?

just starsan, shouldn't really need to be cleaned between pours, which is where I'm having issues. I'm liking the idea of the Andale more and more now.

I'm actually thinking that iron is leaching from the stainless very rapidly catalysing oxidation/staling of the beer, as a blue tinge stains my silicon hosing at the barbing when water is left in the lines and gun for any prolonged period.

micblair said:
I'm actually thinking that iron is leaching from the stainless very rapidly catalysing oxidation/staling of the beer, as a blue tinge stains my silicon hosing at the barbing when water is left in the lines and gun for any prolonged period.
Didn't you say it's a plastic gun? The only metal on them is the very small barbed fitting for the beer line which is supposed to be stainless. Is your water chlorinated or is it fluoride treated?
If it's anything like the so called ABS plastic taps on their kegerators then the plastic is total crap, I saw two of the tap fittings disintegrate when 90 kpa pressure was applied through the beer lines.

I'd go SS Perlick 525's, I clean mine with the next keg of beer.

I used the the plastic taps that came with my KK font for a couple of weeks. Pored well considering the design and price I didn't detect anu funky after taste apart from some average beer.

After going Stainless perlick you really know what your missing.

Conflict of interest; I don't sell Perlick yet.. Or the keg king ones...

I am going to throw my plastic Pluto gun out for this exact reason. Tastes like shit. Can't stand it...

FWIW: I don't have any problems with my plastic pluto.
But I only used it for a couple of months before getting S.Steel taps.

My pluto gun has disintegrated into 2 pieces. Oh well cheap plastic. I also get a taint but I think it's oxidation and it occurs on the first pour. I think it leaks air into the line. Now that I have 545ss perlicks, I'm not going back.

Get a glass of water and soak what you can of it overnight, try the water in the morning..easy. ;)

Batz said:
Get a glass of water and soak what you can of it overnight, try the water in the morning..easy. ;)
I'd have to throw the whole sink out if it came in contact with the water that came in contact with the Pluto gun.

My plastic KK gun has had a workout. No funny taste ever.

It squirts a bit if you release it too slow but otherwise fit for purpose.

Latest posts

Back