Keg King Elements

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe these elements were designed thinking that people will have a load control device wired in. Something that controls the current and slows the heating down, the max 2400 watt being only the peak power to ramp from cold when the water is absorbing heat rapidly from the element/connection.

Anyway, I bet this is one instance where a product should be sold with a safety notice about wtf it's intended operating conditions are. Then leave it to the buyer to decide suitability.

Maybe these elements were designed thinking that people will have a load control device wired in. Something that controls the current and slows the heating down, the max 2400 watt being only the peak power to ramp from cold when the water is absorbing heat rapidly from the element/connection.

Anyway, I bet this is one instance where a product should be sold with a safety notice about wtf it's intended operating conditions are. Then leave it to the buyer to decide suitability.

That's an assumption that can't be made when you're putting a product to market as it has to be fit for purpose, and hoping people will have some form of auxiliary control means some people won't; so their product application is not fit for purpose.

That's an assumption that can't be made when you're putting a product to market as it has to be fit for purpose, and hoping people will have some form of auxiliary control means some people won't; so their product application is not fit for purpose.
It surprises me that not a single person from keg king has weighed into this debacle...
When a member of the G & G team was pin pointed on here , John Preston was onto it...
Maybe someone needs to email Kee ???
Then there is always the bulk buy pick up at his in a couple of weeks ...maybe everyone pickIng up grain says something lol
My 2c anyway
F

Exactly.
But then, can you pin them down on this? They don't say boil wort with this. They don't even mention it is for brewing.
Apart from the fact that it is sold in a brewing shop.
Now, if the retailer has a colourful description on their product page, that could certainly get them in trouble.

Besides that, I noticed that for an electrical item, I received mine with absolutely 0 paperwork. No spec sheet, safety advice etc. for selling an electrical device by retail, that is a definite wrong. I'm no lawyer but pretty sure that stuff is mandatory. Even other cheap Chinese crap on the market comes with that. As it is an engineered product, it needs to be provided with a CE certificate and all that goes with it.

These are basic things, if followed right solve a whole lot of problems that seem to be pointed out. Now that would be what is perhaps illegal about it.

PS: not sure if selling without a power cord absolves the retailers from the above.

It surprises me that not a single person from keg king has weighed into this debacle...
When a member of the G & G team was pin pointed on here , John Preston was onto it...
Maybe someone needs to email Kee ???
Then there is always the bulk buy pick up at his in a couple of weeks ...maybe everyone pickIng up grain says something lol
My 2c anyway
F

Hey gus,

Apparently Kev alerted Kee of thread already but still nothing.

Cheers BDB

Exactly.
But then, can you pin them down on this? They don't say boil wort with this. They don't even mention it is for brewing.
Apart from the fact that it is sold in a brewing shop.
Now, if the retailer has a colourful description on their product page, that could certainly get them in trouble.

Besides that, I noticed that for an electrical item, I received mine with absolutely 0 paperwork. No spec sheet, safety advice etc. for selling an electrical device by retail, that is a definite wrong. I'm no lawyer but pretty sure that stuff is mandatory. Even other cheap Chinese crap on the market comes with that. As it is an engineered product, it needs to be provided with a CE certificate and all that goes with it.

These are basic things, if followed right solve a whole lot of problems that seem to be pointed out. Now that would be what is perhaps illegal about it.

PS: not sure if selling without a power cord absolves the retailers from the above.
The fact that it is sold by a brewing supplier is enough to satisfy the brewing purpose for the 'fit for purpose' requirement. It also needs to be of merchantable quality. If it is advertised as stainless and sold for brewing, then rusting fails both requirements. I'd suggest to the retailer that they might like to replace the item as the ACCC doesn't look kindly on breaches of the Trade Practises Act, (or whatever its new name is), and neither do the respective state small claims tribunals.

The fact that it is sold by a brewing supplier is enough to satisfy the brewing purpose for the 'fit for purpose' requirement. It also needs to be of merchantable quality. If it is advertised as stainless and sold for brewing, then rusting fails both requirements. I'd suggest to the retailer that they might like to replace the item as the ACCC doesn't look kindly on breaches of the Trade Practises Act, (or whatever its new name is), and neither do the respective state small claims tribunals.

Dead on. I'm sure the ACCC will have some swift words to the retailer. That is, if they get away without a nasty fine.

on top of the ACC/Fair trade posts above, it just doesn't seem to be smart business practice to me....

upset enough people and they will go elsewhere for their products, lose a few customers over something as cheap as this and you lose thousands in business down the track, very silly...

upset enough people and they will go elsewhere for their products, lose a few customers over something as cheap as this and you lose thousands in business down the track, very silly...

Yep, I know I'll be looking elsewhere.

Unfortunately it is the responsibility of the retailer from whom the product was purchased to honour the warranty. Particularly unfortunate given it seems there is a manufacturing fault involved but that's how the law stands. At least in SA.
A retailer cannot just say "We no longer deal with this particular supplier, direct all your warranty issues to them yourself" as I know one retailer has done.

I spoke to Kee yesterday as I have had 2 out of 3 elements fail with melted wires. He said he would replace them when the new shipment came in at the end of this month. He also said that it appears the problem is fixed in the new batch.

Cheers

Fil

I spoke to Kee yesterday as I have had 2 out of 3 elements fail with melted wires. He said he would replace them when the new shipment came in at the end of this month. He also said that it appears the problem is fixed in the new batch.

Cheers

Fil

Wasn't it also fixed in ver 2, and then in ver 3, and now ver X?

I wonder is there going to be a recall for the prior ones?

This would ship as a kit. I'm not an electrician and i would reccomend an electrician wires the three wires. Everything would ship together including all the parts for the wires, two triclamps and the element. It may or may not include a short piece of lead and a standard plug.

With a 2400w Incolloy element i would expect the price to be around the $100-130. Depending on wether i can source the elements cheaper, the price may come down

The kit without the element would also be available if you wanted to source your own cheapo ebay element. It fits all 1" bsp or npt screw in elements. B)

NotasPriceyAsYou'dThinkPunkin

Do you know a ball park figure on how much it would cost to have the bit welded to the kettle.

I can ship the ferrulle with the kit, depends on how well you get on with a welder?

A box of beer would see most small jobs like this done in most shops. ;)

Cant see much under 1800W doing a fair job. 2000-3000W is what you need. Waiting on my 3000W cheapy off ebay to test run.
Nev

I'm thinking a total of at least 4,500 to 5,000w for what I need :lol:

But the less elements I can do it in the better.

I'm thinking a total of at least 4,500 to 5,000w for what I need :lol:

But the less elements I can do it in the better.

You can get a 4800 from stokes. Don't forget it'll draw 20 amps though :eek:

Two 2400's on seperate circuits is more realistic for most houses. ;)

Latest posts

Back