Keg King Elements

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to give one whirl, if you dont hear from me I forgot to add an Earth wire.
Seriously dont use it until you add an earth. Should be here in a month :(
Cant be any worse than the one you got.

Nev

I've ordered one too. Why do new toys always take so long to get here

You idiot, Brad :lol: Hypothetically, if someone else did this exact same thing and the element turned a burnt-brown colour, could this have any adverse effects to health? :ph34r: (Tripped the power to the power point circuit in the house too, I dunno how the hell it still works to be honest. It was glowing red too!)

My last keg king element lasted less than 12 months, but I didn't have a receipt for proof of purchase, so no good. This was due to the insulation on the wires melting.

Cheers.

Hope you get a refund, Kev.

You would think with the amount of elements that have burnt wires they would be due for a full recall of that version. Knowing how many have failed I wonder what the liability would be?

Refund :lol: all I've got is "time to spend more money" to fix it up, and hope something else on it doesn't go wrong with it.

I have been using these elements for about 3 years in all my vessels. They have served me well but they are rubbish.

Good find kev. I have just ordered their 3kw version. If they look all right I will buy some spares.

Funny thing is for ages all I could find was the 3kw version. I'm limited to 10amp sockets, so had to wait for a 2kw one. I spent more time looking tonight :lol:

i have a CB one, it's a replacement for a failed unit that would have done 50hrs of boiling i reckon but I like others think the quality is just not good enough on the build of these.

today i sent a "quote" to TEE to see if they have anything that could replace it even if it needs to be "wired" and not plug and play like the 2200w stick

personally i would be happy to spend up to or more than $100 on one that is going to last the distance and give a few good years of use but still be easy to install .

got a reply back from TEE sadly for a plug and play from them would be pushing +- $400 for a single unit

i suppose the cheapest next option is to weld in sockets and just screw in off the shelf heating units and have them wired up properly

got a reply back from TEE sadly for a plug and play from them would be pushing +- $400 for a single unit

i suppose the cheapest next option is to weld in sockets and just screw in off the shelf heating units and have them wired up properly

What about something like this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOT-WATER-ELEME...305be268f"
or
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HOT-WATER-ELEMENT-2...=item2305be2517

You could either get a 1" socket welded into place,
OR
drill a hole in the kettle and a bolt it in place with a die cast box, seal and nut.

element.gif

An electrician would need to hook up the electrical side, the same electrician that would wire up the stc-1000/other controller that will control it.

edit: I had a 1" nut in the diagram, looks like we need a 32mm nut, but basically "a nut to suit"

QldKev

It really is such a shame that the keg king elements arent better designed, but I guess for that price you get what you pay for.

I would happily pay $50 for one of the same design that would last indefinitely.

I really hope mine don't shit themselves as everyone elses have...

At least I know that Ross will honour his warranty even if keg king dont.

It really is such a shame that the keg king elements arent better designed, but I guess for that price you get what you pay for.

I would happily pay $50 for one of the same design that would last indefinitely.

+1
Got mine today, ordered for the hlt. It has a few manufacturing marks near the base. Will just have to suck and see.

Next time for the HLT I think I'll just use the $8 kettle elements, they last in kettles for many years.

Yep. I've got two homemaker branded kettle (kmart) kettle elements in my HLT.
Awesome elements, have lasted for years with no issues at all.

Next time for the HLT I think I'll just use the $8 kettle elements, they last in kettles for many years.
A kettle doesn't get nearly the workout as boiling 40+ litres of water each time. It gets to boiling and stops.

I have just bought one myself but I seriously wouldn't expect it to last that long. Hope to be proven wrong, and I would be happy enough to buy a new one each year if they stay the same price and physical size.

Is "Nickle Copper Plated" going to be as robust or even something you want in your boiling wort, when compared to SS?

Good point. Probably best to stay with s/s. Fingers crossed when that $14 element gets here it works out good.

Mine was purchased form Ross, but since Keg King sent out the last replacement due to me being several hundred km's from Craftbrewer, it seems to have become Keg Kings issue?

Yep. I've got two homemaker branded kettle (kmart) kettle elements in my HLT.
Awesome elements, have lasted for years with no issues at all.

I also know a brewer up here who has had a kettle element in his HLT for many years.

A kettle doesn't get nearly the workout as boiling 40+ litres of water each time. It gets to boiling and stops.

I have just bought one myself but I seriously wouldn't expect it to last that long. Hope to be proven wrong, and I would be happy enough to buy a new one each year if they stay the same price and physical size.

Ref above. They seem ok if used for fresh water in the HLT, but not so happy in the wort.

QldKev

I find it quite surising that Keg King hasn't weighed in on this post.

This forum is easily the biggest group of their customer in one place, yet still nothing has been said.

Many other retailers are very quick to jump on any problems and rectify them to divert any negative publicity.

This is putting them in a very negative light, and may put people off their other good products.

Just a thought.

This forum is easily the biggest group of their customer in one place, yet still nothing has been said.

Many other retailers are very quick to jump on any problems and rectify them to divert any negative publicity.

This is putting them in a very negative light, and may put people off their other good products.

Just a thought.
In my opinion I would replace the faulty product and remove product from sale.
But thats me not them.
Nev

yeah think I might use kettle elements when I go electric lol

Just a thought.
He hasn't posted in years although looking at his profile he stalks the forum a bit last seen March 19.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...p?showuser=6589

In my opinion I would replace the faulty product and remove product from sale.
But thats me not them.
Nev

I didnt want to name names on the retailers who are smart enough to watch these forums, but I can refer to exhibit A.....

If there was a reliable element with an exact build to the keg king one, it would be worth $50-$60 easily.

I have no comment on the product but a recent thread where a certain retailer had an issue (with a staff member rather than a product but still relevant) was emailed and immediately took steps to rectify the situation.

Just because we waste loads of time on this forum, doesn't mean retailers have the time nor the inclination. If it concerns someone because they feel the retailer is good and are getting unnecessarily bad mouthed, let them know and see how they deal with it then.

The response to Kev's complaint seems pretty average to me - most times I've had an issue with one of the many retailers I use (not just brewing) they are quick to respond and to rectify so those who aren't, I tend to view with suspicion.

However an email from someone else, with a link to this thread can save a lot of speculation.

I have no comment on the product but a recent thread where a certain retailer had an issue (with a staff member rather than a product but still relevant) was emailed and immediately took steps to rectify the situation.

Just because we waste loads of time on this forum, doesn't mean retailers have the time nor the inclination. If it concerns someone because they feel the retailer is good and are getting unnecessarily bad mouthed, let them know and see how they deal with it then.

The response to Kev's complaint seems pretty average to me - most times I've had an issue with one of the many retailers I use (not just brewing) they are quick to respond and to rectify so those who aren't, I tend to view with suspicion.

However an email from someone else, with a link to this thread can save a lot of speculation.

In my last email to Kee I have directly informed him of this thread myself, so he has been given the opportunity to respond.

QldKev

Then you've done all you can do. Best way to deal with it - you contacted him, got an unsatisfactory response, mentioned it publicly then alerted the relevant party to the subsequent discussion.

Other people complaining about bad service should endeavour to do the same. I think you've dealt with it well.

Latest posts

Back