Keg King Conversation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Keg King - is there some future design improvements in these Chubby comments for you?

Perhaps some sort of hand holds in the black base. Seems like if its full and you tilt to get you hand under the bottom the weight in the fermenter that's when it comes away. If you could get a grip without tilting might avoid.

I know the knew stainless handles will help - but thought this might be a good idea as well.

@Keg King - is there some future design improvements in these Chubby comments for you?

Perhaps some sort of hand holds in the black base. Seems like if its full and you tilt to get you hand under the bottom the weight in the fermenter that's when it comes away. If you could get a grip without tilting might avoid.

I know the knew stainless handles will help - but thought this might be a good idea as well.
Actually we changed the design on the bottom part which gives the glue a lot more chance to grip so don't think this will be an issue any more.

Anyone else had a problem with the silicone dip tube splitting on their Fermenter King Junior, right where it connects to the liquid post? I've had to cut it back twice now. I think the shoulder on the stainless bit is a bit too sharp. Any fixes other than modifying it on a lathe?

Anyone else had a problem with the silicone dip tube splitting on their Fermenter King Junior, right where it connects to the liquid post? I've had to cut it back twice now. I think the shoulder on the stainless bit is a bit too sharp. Any fixes other than modifying it on a lathe?
How are you storing the tube when not in use? Connected to the short dip tube? In starsan? Starsan will make silicone brittle and crack

I store it connected in Starsan, as it’s impossible to completely dry and I don’t want nasties growing.

I’ve heard conflicted reports about starsan damaging silicone. Was hoping it wasn’t true.

Aside from storage, the tubing will always be full of starsan residue while I’m fermenting, unless I rinse it, but that surely defeats the purpose of using a no-rinse sanitiser?

I store it connected in Starsan, as it’s impossible to completely dry and I don’t want nasties growing.

I’ve heard conflicted reports about starsan damaging silicone. Was hoping it wasn’t true.

Aside from storage, the tubing will always be full of starsan residue while I’m fermenting, unless I rinse it, but that surely defeats the purpose of using a no-rinse sanitiser?
Silicone becomes vulnerable to embrittlement leading to cracking/tearing when stored in starsan. The damage is accelerated when the silicone material is in a stressed state, such as when stretched over a diptube. If you really want to store the silicone in starsan it would be better to detach it first.
It would be better still to clean the silicone, leave it to dry by hanging it, and starsan sanitising just prior to use.

Bugger. Thanks for the info though.

Does that mean you remove it from the post? Or do you put something on to open the poppet so it can drain out?

With how hard it is to get the tubing on, I wouldn’t want to risk breaking it by removing it every time...

@CEO Keg King @Keg King

Any idea when you are getting more stock of the Snub nose thermowell lids? I already have 2 but was cleaning the ball lock posts and seems the thread on one of them is questionable (I may have stripped it slightly) still seems to holds pressure at this stage and luckily the next batch is only fermenting at 2-3psi (my 2nd one ill clean and transfer onto for dry hopping and carbonation/cold crash before I keg) I also still have my original lids without the thermowell if I need them.

Also I have heaps of spare fittings, any issues with drilling out the plastic ballvalve thread on the gen3 lids and going back to a metal thread like on the gen2? if you do a gen4 id sugguest going back to the metal pass through ball lock screw in options

But keen to buy another lid or 2, any option to buy just the thermowell lid setup but without the thermowell tube as I already have them?

https://www.keg-king.com.au/35l-snub-nose-thermowell-upgrade-kit.html

Last edited:
@CEO Keg King @Keg King

Any idea when you are getting more stock of the Snub nose thermowell lids? I already have 2 but was cleaning the ball lock posts and seems the thread on one of them is questionable (I may have stripped it slightly) still seems to holds pressure at this stage and luckily the next batch is only fermenting at 2-3psi (my 2nd one ill clean and transfer onto for dry hopping and carbonation/cold crash before I keg) I also still have my original lids without the thermowell if I need them.

Also I have heaps of spare fittings, any issues with drilling out the plastic ballvalve thread on the gen3 lids and going back to a metal thread like on the gen2? if you do a gen4 id sugguest going back to the metal pass through ball lock screw in options

But keen to buy another lid or 2, any option to buy just the thermowell lid setup but without the thermowell tube as I already have them?

https://www.keg-king.com.au/35l-snub-nose-thermowell-upgrade-kit.html
Yes you can buy this separately.

Just installed my black ultratap yesterday. The handle that comes with it is really nice looking for just a simple plastic handle. Even more so than the one that came with the stainless ultratap. Are these available seperately?

@Keg King , congrats on your ever expanding product range and exporting success - just wondering what feedback you've had from buyers on your 'Boiling Hot Boiler Deal'?

I'm looking to transition into BIAB and this seems pretty mindblowing value as an entry level starter that can be adapted into a superior system down the line (I'm sure if the components were added up it'd be nearly double your selling price) - so much so I only wonder if the quality of the boiler or pump is not so great? (no offence meant at all - the price is just so good as I can barely buy a quality 35L pot alone for that!)

Very few faulty units? Other than the mentioned related items on the page (temp controller, refractometer etc) is there anything you'd reckon punters should also grab to get the best from this package? i.e helix coil or bazooka screen etc

Thank you in advance :)

@Keg King , congrats on your ever expanding product range and exporting success - just wondering what feedback you've had from buyers on your 'Boiling Hot Boiler Deal'?

I'm looking to transition into BIAB and this seems pretty mindblowing value as an entry level starter that can be adapted into a superior system down the line (I'm sure if the components were added up it'd be nearly double your selling price) - so much so I only wonder if the quality of the boiler or pump is not so great? (no offence meant at all - the price is just so good as I can barely buy a quality 35L pot alone for that!)

Very few faulty units? Other than the mentioned related items on the page (temp controller, refractometer etc) is there anything you'd reckon punters should also grab to get the best from this package? i.e helix coil or bazooka screen etc

Thank you in advance :)

I brought one as a cheap volume increase when needed to my 3v and to do cereal mashing in

I link this to my MLT when I need more mash liquid volume and can use it as an extension to my kettle as well

The pump is the normal 25watt pump everyone uses/sells, and I have 3 now (only had one fail in about 8years)

It comes with all the fittings you need to use the pump, I would suggest getting a colander or sieve to keep the biab bag off the bottom

Element/boiler is your typical entry level setup and will turn off if you burn anything on it

Tap feels fine to me

Long term I would recommend if going for bigger batches getting something more solid and using it as a HLT but as a starting setup it'll make beer fine

I actually used to use a smaller t500 boiler with a BIAB setup when I first got back into it

Might also be worth insulating as well, maybe adding a whirlpool port (can be done with a good stir however), get a cube for no chill or some form of chiller.

I've also planned to get a triclamp adapter and will run a better re circulation option then just running the hose back through the lid

@clickeral , much thanks for a terrific and very thorough reply. Very much appreciated and I think you've tipped me over the line into grabbing one (once I figure out what else I need from KK).

Really appreciate your extra thoughts on how to enhance the unit with a few add-ons - great ideas!

I can understand your point regarding getting a more 'solid' unit for bigger batches etc - though honestly I'd be quite happy to if anything stick with sub 20L batches for a while - as not being a big drinker I just don't get to brew regularly enough to try new recipes, variations and technique tweaks. So while I can see something like the Guten 40L is a step up, I reckon the difference in end brew quality is highly unlikely to be the respective unit - haha rather me being by far the weakest link. So given it's around 1/3 the price I figure its a much easier sell to the missus and Ive noticed that very few purchases seem to depreciate faster than brew gear. Go figure.

Anyway much thanks again for a terrific reply, it was a great help to me.

Latest posts

Back