Keg isn't pouring.... What to do about a blockage?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lswhi3

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I've got 19L of beer carbonated and ready to drink, but when I open the tap I'm getting about 5ml of beer out and the flow stops... There is a little beer in the line which is where the 5ml is coming from, but that's where the flow stops...
Does this sound like a keg blockage? I racked the beer before I kegged it so there shouldn't be much in there other than some hop particles, because I did the dry hop in the secondary.
Is it possible to rack the beer out of the keg into another keg? Would there be issues with oxydation and would the fact that the beer has already been carbonated via the keg be a problem?
Cheers

is the keg gassed OK? Test by opening the PRV (Pressure release).

Next, I would remove the tap and see if the cloggage is in there.

I would then check the outlet poppet/ valve and see if it's clogged.

I owe this knowledge to a Ruination clone I made when I was still green with keg experience.

Freezing sounds very possible. How cold is the keg? Once you eliminate that, follow steps suggested by Les.

In the past I have just pushed and held the gas qd on to the beer line at say 30/40psi until the blockage cleared but they have been hop blockages. Might be worth a try tho
Edit spelling

I've done all that, and there's nothing frozen, still not pouring... I put some water in a second keg and it gassed and poured fine, which is what makes me think its the keg and I need to rack the beer out.

Did you use gelatin?

Ive had a dip tube full of beer jelly once had to remove tube and blow out a big chunk of jelly

have you put the gas on the beer post then open the relief valve to see that the gas is getting in.

degas the keg, take the out post off and then take the beer dip tube out and see what's in there.

Luke1992 said:
I've done all that, and there's nothing frozen, still not pouring... I put some water in a second keg and it gassed and poured fine, which is what makes me think its the keg and I need to rack the beer out.
At what pressure did you
Put the gas line on the beer post?

No gelatin. How do you go about degassing the keg? Would I need to decarbonate the beer as well?

If it does clear dont forget to release some pressure before pouring a beer

So I jacked it up to 300 KPAs and still nothing. Should I give it 10mins?

Maybe try pull the relief valve a couple of times apart from that im out

disconnect your gas line.then degass the keg thru pvr.then remove the post and check for debris and also check the diptube

So just to be clear,

have you?

disconnected everything, released pressure from keg, bumped up co2 to say.... 300kpa and then put the gas line onto the beer out disconnect?

if the keg doesn't start to fill with gas (you should hear it) then your blockage is in your disconnect or tube.

I believe DU99 meant to say prv pressure relief valve .the pullring on top of your keg

Latest posts

Back