Keg Handle Stiff

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmolou

Reaction score
i've left my keg setup for around 2 weeks and was shocked to find my keg taps wouldn't move at all like seemed to be locked into place so i eventually pulled hard enough for it to move but it seems it is stuck and has to be manually moved (usually they flick backwards) what could be the cause and solution for this?

cheers in advance phil :icon_chickcheers:

sounds like a sticky tap. im going to assume its a rear sealing tap in that case like a brumby.
all it needs is a strip down and clean.
this is the reason i have the forward sealing ones.

The taps I have outside never have this problem, the newer taps I have inside do have the same problem. I find I have to take them apart for a cleaning and lube, then they are ok for a month. I also lube the quick disconnects. btw you can get food grade lube from most plumbing stores, from the site sponsors and even from adult stores. One tube lasts a long time.

QldKev

There's a discussion here.

I use a spray bottle of sanitiser to clean out the taps at the end of each session. I also strip down and clean each tap monthly(ish), but the sanitiser spray keeps my taps relatively un-stuck in between.

Cheers,
tallie

The taps I have outside never have this problem, the newer taps I have inside do have the same problem. I find I have to take them apart for a cleaning and lube, then they are ok for a month. I also lube the quick disconnects. btw you can get food grade lube from most plumbing stores, from the site sponsors and even from adult stores. One tube lasts a long time.

QldKev

Sorry QLDKev but are u saying the lube you get from sex shops lasts you a long time ? :icon_drunk:

Sorry QLDKev but are u saying the lube you get from sex shops lasts you a long time ? :icon_drunk:

It prevents the calices on my hands

From removing stuck quick disconnects that is!

QldKev

I got a tube of this last year and it's going to see me out I reckon. I also put just the smallest smear on keg posts and it helps the quick disconnects 'pop' into place. You will also need one of these to dismantle the tap. I do mine about every two kegs. Also you can just disconnect the beer QD and clean a tap any time it's starting to give problems.

Latest posts

Back