Keg Fridge - Where To Drill?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefo112233

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I've finally got the kegs, the gas bottle and the fridge and Im ready to set it up. But my fridge is quite old and there are no wiring diagrams i can find. I assume a safe place to drill (for the gas line) would be the side wall of the fridge but im really not sure. I would like any tips or experienced opinions before I start.

Thanks in advance guys I appreciate it (oh yeah I will unplug it before i drill also)

Cheers,
Shaun

Hi guys,
I've finally got the kegs, the gas bottle and the fridge and Im ready to set it up. But my fridge is quite old and there are no wiring diagrams i can find. I assume a safe place to drill (for the gas line) would be the side wall of the fridge but im really not sure. I would like any tips or experienced opinions before I start.

Thanks in advance guys I appreciate it (oh yeah I will unplug it before i drill also)

Cheers,
Shaun

Another quick question guys - I have a normal Tuesco Regulator, do I need a non return valve or is there one built in? Thanks!

Try a small pilot hole in the side of the fridge's internal lining just to pierce the surface. Then have a little poke around. You'll most probably find a bit of insulation and hopefully no wires or coils. If you've got a free run to the external paneling then you're good to go. Now just drill a hole the same diameter as a gas line and you'll be sorted.

Edit: no idea about you're regulator having an inbuilt NRV... but get one anyway. Best insurance you can have... don't risk it.

I am double safe now. Check valves in my manifold and a non return valve for the regulator. That said once I managed to get beer in my regulator and it's still going strong a year later.

chefo is the old fridge the type with the heat unit as a black grille on the back or the hot lines plumbed under the skin of the fridge (newer style). I recently drilled a hole in the side of a modern fridge by feeling where the hot lines were (in the vacinity of where i wanted the hole) by leaving the door open and running it hard, marked 'hot' where i thought the lines were and 'cool' where i thought they were not (1/2 way between the 'hot's) then used a soldering iron to melt from the inside out, feeling my way and confirming no lines in the insulation. then finished with an 8mm drill.

Back