Keg Fridge (chest Freezer) Died - Fixable?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonw

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I have a chest freezer that I picked up on ebay a couple of years ago. Unfortunately it has recently died - the light comes on to say it's cooling and I hear the compressor kick in, but it doesn't get colder.

I assume that means the gas has gone away, which effectively makes it uneconomical to repair. Agree? I've asked an appliance fix-it guy to come and take a look, but I'd prefer not to waste $60 if it's a non-starter.

Given that I've only had it a couple of years, and it was in pretty good nick when I got it (so prolly not very old), I wonder whether using a chest freezer on a fridge mate can reduce the life of the freezer. Any comments on what can be done to solve the problem?

Cheers,

Jon

happened to mine too. word on the street is that repairs arent worth it.

had the same a few weeks ago- repair is usually not worth it. i gambled on an attempt at re-gassing, bought me an extra 48hrs of cold beer only, before it died again. managed to find the exact same freezer on trading post for less than i paid for the first one, simple matter of swapping the collar over, so it wasn't so bad in the end....good luck

remi

Latest posts

Back