Keg dispensing issue

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depressurize. Remove beer tube. Check its clear, check spring in out connect.

Last edited:
I have had 2 problems with freezing. One in the beer line as previously mentioned.

The other was with a large amount of ice in the bottom of the cornie, which may have caused freezing in the beer dip tube or at the disconnect when the pressure reduced and the beer flowed, when I opened the tap (like opening a really cold bottle that forms ice when opened). I didn't find this out till I opened the keg and drained it. To find a large block of ice on one side at the bottom. The keg had been in the fridge undisturbed for 2 or three months while I was away, which allowed the build up of ice.

Almost certainly crap in the poppet spring. Release pressure, dismantle beer out, clean. If the beer has hops in the keg, you need to put a filter on the bottom of the pickup tube.

I had a similar issue with a Keg King keg, turned out to be a flattened O-ring on the beer out ball lock fitting on the keg which was restricting the flow, both my other kegs were working fine on the same set up which helped me narrow down the issue. Good luck mate, cant have these issues leading into the warmer months

Problem partially solved.

Crap in one poppet spring. The beer is so trubby (my fault, rushed keg before holiday) that I clean the spring, hook it up, get half a pint, and it happens again.

Other beer appears as though the poppet was stuck with stickiness, and upon cleaning and changing over poppets, it's all good.

Both are new Kk style kegs and the oring is obliterated in one, replaced with older poppet spare.

Other keg will need draining into a new keg to rid it of trub.

Moral of story, don't rush kegging without trub being settled and clean and inspect poppet regularly.

just remove the poppet altogether. be a bit truby but **** it.

Yep, as per @yurgy, getting rid of the poppet and spring in the post and the pin and spring in the quick disconnect will be your easiest fix in the short term, although once removed you'll need to remember not to detach the disconnect again with the keg pressurised else it'll be beer on ceiling time...

The other part that can clog up is the throttle in the Intertap flow-control taps if you're running them - not sure there's a solution to that one other than removing the throttle from the tap completely for that beer - I haven't done this myself but assume it would work OK.

Latest posts

Back