Keg dispensing issue

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Raja Goomba I

Prisoner of Sobriety
Reaction score
Okay, so my kegs aren't dispensing correctly. I've a Kk3, so it's pretty stock.

In order to address this issue, I've done the following:

Upped pressure from micromatic reg
Tested PRV to see if kegs are pressurised (they are)
Pulled apart all taps and cleaned. Tested issues with plastic tap.
Pushed poppet on beer out. Beer comes out, but I expected a face full, given reg was at 20psi.
Filled spare keg with room temp water, whacked it on pressure and ran water through all the taps.

So the only solution I can assume is the two kegs have some blockage in the beer pickup tube/poppet in those 2 kegs.

Anyone else had this or something similar.

i did recently with the first keg I had ever tapped. I turned the pressure up to 200kpa and opened closed the tap till i was able to push the blockage out. just a bit of trub 'cause I sucked up a bit when I was racking to the keg.

can u put the gas dc on the beer post and push gas back down the dip tube by pulling PRV? I literally only started kegging so im definitly still a novice.

When my kegmenter's diptube clogs up with trub - hop matter is even worse - pushing it up through the beer post is sometimes impossible. In those situations I hook up a beer disconnect to CO2 and push some gas thru the beer post, it clears the blockage just fine. You might get the blockage again but it'll at least serve to rule out blockage as the culprit.

can u put the gas dc on the beer post and push gas back down the dip tube by pulling PRV? I literally only started kegging so im definitly still a novice.

Can’t put a gas DC on the beer post but could connect a gas line on a beer DC and try that and it will probably do the job.

I put the gas disconnect to the beer post (with a touch of effort), heard the gas feeding into the beer, but when the posts were returned to their usual places, it behaved the same as before.

If I leave it for a while, enough pressure to dispense beer for 100ml at normal and then it's back to a dribble.

Did you release all pressure from the keg and leave the PRV open?

@Danscraftbeer has a good point. That's gotten me also. Pluto gun against the back wall of the fridge..

If not - it's strange that it's happening across two kegs. Are they the same batch?
Gotta look at common denominators in that type of situation, although your kegs are pressurised I wonder if your reg is busted. Do you have another reg to test with? Maybe a minikeg reg and bulb?

I've actually had kegs semi freeze when a critiquing visitor who swills VB preaching that beer needs to be colder.
Then crank it colder, ok for a night but left for a few days and cold spots develop and frozen kegs or frozen lines etc......:hairout:
If its lines frozen you can unravel them and warm them up with a heat gun.
Frozen kegs all you can do is let it thaw slowly over a few days, waiting etc.....

Last edited:
Can you define 'not dispensing properly' a bit more clearly? Dribble? Not at all? Foam?

Could be frozen lines, trub/particulate, gas leak.....

Not frozen, the Kk isn't capable of it in QLD.

Regulator is about 2 months old and kegs are holding pressure.

I'll PRV out the gas and do the gas to beer post thing again.

Dribble of foam, low positive pressure visible in the beer lines that then stops after a period of time when I turn the tap on.

Based on water getting through same taps, I'm assuming a blockage in the beer tube.

Just one keg? Hoppy/late hopped/dry hopped?

Have you got another beer out dip tube you can swap out to test?

Both kegs, one possible to be trub, other very hoppy and could be that.

I do have another diptube to pull out and test. I know it works because I just used it to water through all taps.

Latest posts

Back