Keg Cleaners

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superoo

Reaction score
Howdy All,

What are people using to clean their kegs, or do I just stay with keg cleaner from my LHBS ?

Cheers...

Rinse out with water
Hot PBW or napisan soak running through all posts and prv
Empty and rinse with hot water
Soak with starsan running through all posts and prv
Empty starsan
Purge with co2
Pressurize and store until use.

Mostly unscented nappisan (Coles brand, without the ezymes). Sometimes I also use PBW, which is very good, and but expensive.

Napisan scented - smells nicer FFS! :lol: Everyone carries on about unscented, but really, if you rinse, you won't have any residue to keep the aroma around. I use lemon bleach too :ph34r:

Rise keg with napisan and shake, rinse, dry, store... starsan for a few mins before refilling.

Hey Guys,

After it blows dry I leave the keg pressurised until ready to re-use - i.e remains a closed system. Then on the day I rinse with water to remove solids, then fill with a 2L solution of caustic soda (granulated form from your favourite hardware store, dosage according to directions). Let it sit upside down, ride side up for about 5 mins each, shake, carb and run through lines. Then run a few litres of water through lines a couple of times, and finally a rinse with starsan (also mildy acidic so neutralises any remaining caustic).

I believe caustic soda (a-la sodium hydroxide) "eats" organics - e.g. unblocks u-bend in plumbing, so thats the rationale.

Anyone see any issues with this option - other than the obvious hazards of caustic?

cheers.

Anyone see any issues with this option - other than the obvious hazards of caustic?
cheers.

Hose out crud first then soak keg overnight in 1 tsp of 100% Sodium percarbonate (or the equivalent in standard Napisan), hose keg out next morning with cold water, pour in boiling water & shake to get pressure for cleaning out poppets & PVR. Do the boiling water\shake thing again with phos acid included & store away until wanted.

Thanks to Screwtop I've found that a 2% caustic solution (as opposed to the 50% solution advice given on Caustic Soda websites) is all that's needed for cleaning out HERMS & RIMS systems. Can't see why it should not work for the OP BUT be warned, you still need to be bloody careful with this stuff even at 2%.

TP

all i do is when a keg blows i leave it connected as is until i need it, i then release the gas, put water in and shake it a fair bit, tip out water then fill again a few times with water and tip out,then i rinse with BACBAN and leave it for 5 minutes or so, then tip out and drain for a couple of minutes then fill keg with new brew,only flush lines about every 3 or 4 kegs, been doing it this way for 3 years now with no troubles.
fergi

Napisan scented - smells nicer FFS! :lol: Everyone carries on about unscented, but really, if you rinse, you won't have any residue to keep the aroma around. I use lemon bleach too :ph34r:

Rise keg with napisan and shake, rinse, dry, store... starsan for a few mins before refilling.

Rebel Homebrewer I just add add a spray of glen20 to the lid, it kills 99% of shit. <_<

Always keep my empty kegs under gas in the same spot I emptied them, the fridge, sometimes I refill them sometimes I dont depending on what went in there and residual stuff. Occasionly I use a percarbonate but most times heat n steam n pressure. 5 Litres boiling water shaken, valves pulled, reurn the water and do it again works a treat.

I've found that a 2% caustic solution (as opposed to the 50% solution advice given on Caustic Soda websites) is all that's needed

I helped out on a brew day at a commercial brewery last week and 2% caustic is what they use, followed by a hot (80C) water rinse and they're good to go, no other sanitizer necessary.

I helped out on a brew day at a commercial brewery last week and 2% caustic is what they use, followed by a hot (80C) water rinse and they're good to go, no other sanitizer necessary.

Is this just for cold kegs?

Latest posts

Back