Keg Blocked

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmac91

Reaction score
I had a search and looked at peoples posts about a blocked keg from hops. With tips like putting the gas on the beer line to flush out the hops stuck.

Looking from these pictures, http://imgur.com/a/jrYu5
I'm not sure that it will work.

I put 30g of hop pellets in, in two hop balls (15g each ball). I have a party on in 7 days and I'm hoping to be able to use this keg for that party. Is there any way getting around throwing this all out?

Also from the beer line, you can see the hop build up. I'm not sure how to remove the metal crimps to clear out the hop material.

Is there anyway to be sure that I've left the hops behind, such as a mesh filter of some sort? Or is that unnecessary?

I read mixed things about a short dip tube, mostly people being for or against it. I didn't get to read any explanations of why people are for or against.

You could always pit a bit of stocking over the end of the hose you use to siphon or some such

Ive got shorten dip tubes on all 7 of my kegs, removed 10mm which leaves any hop or yeast at the base of the keg, not in the beer.

If you cant siphon it, relief the pressure but leave the pressure valve open. Undo the outlet post with a ring spanner and clean the post and poppet with warm water then starsan. Pull the post out, cut of 10mm and give it a clean. Put it back together and get the headspace purged with co2. Turn the fridge right down to zero and then try it in a couple of days.

Latest posts

Back