Keeping Yeast Cool/cold

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roosiecharm

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just bought some yeast - now from what I;ve read, most quality yeast should be refrigerated? Is this true? The yeast I bought (brew cellar or something) wasn't refrigerated in the store - but should I fridge it now, or is the damage already done?

Keeping them refrigerated slows the rate at which they die in the packet, so it will keep longer.

If they were stored in 40* heat for 6 months before you got them, then they're already dead.

If it was sitting on the shelf in a bit more of a moderate temperature and turned over reasonably often, then they'll be fine.

Rob.

Keeping them refrigerated slows the rate at which they die in the packet, so it will keep longer.

If they were stored in 40* heat for 6 months before you got them, then they're already dead.

If it was sitting on the shelf in a bit more of a moderate temperature and turned over reasonably often, then they'll be fine.

Rob.

sweet - so fridging them now to use on the weekend would be pointless? Although I probably should just as a means of good practice. Am I right in saying that cold temps just make yeast dormant, not dead?

If you're going to use it on the weekend then yeh, it probably is pointless.

The way I understand it is that yeast go dormant when they run out of food. Keeping them cold slows their metabolism down so their stored energy keeps them alive for longer.

If you freeze them though you rupture their cells and kill them.

Just make sure that after you take the yeast out of the fridge you let it warm up to room temperature before pitching it. Stresses them less.

Rob.

Thanks mate, I've heard how important yeast is, so I want to look after the stuff! cheers

Yes you should always store your yeast in the fridge, either dried, liquid or on slants - it will greatly improve the shelf-life.
If the shop you purchased it from does not store it in the fridge, I'd suggest shopping elsewhere next time (why by an inferior product that is not looked after well if another shop will sell you it in a much better condition).

Numerous people store dried yeast in the freezer and it works fine, since the yeast has already been dried/packaged (there was a thread about it not more than a week ago), however usually the fridge is fine.
Liquid or yeast in other forms cannot easily be frozen (it's possible but not easy for home-brewers) so it's best not to store your smack-packs, vials or slants in the freezer.

Latest posts

Back