Keeping The Mash At The Right Temp?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dans6401

Reaction score
Hi,
Just getting into all grain and although not too bad the mash tun temp drops a little during mash.
What i was thinking was buying one of these PID. Mounting the thermocouple under the false bottom and connecting this solenoid to the 20 litre Birko to bring it up to temp if it drops more than a degree or two.
Any idea if this would work?
Obviously i'd put a ball valve tap on the solenoid to find a happy medium between temp adjustment and flow rate.
Thanks.

I seriously wouldn't stress it dude.
If you want to, then fine, go ahead and get a RIMS or HERMS system. If you had it connected to the Urn are you talking via a coil ? Or just add more hot water each time ? In which case you'd have a variable mash to liquor ratio.
In reality most modern malts are converted really quick so if your mash temp is remaining almost the same for 20mins or so, you're probably good.
Over time you'll work out what mash temp produces a specific profile in the beer and work to that, pretty much using what other people are suggesting as a guide only.

Try insulating the mash tun and putting a lid on it. This will help retain heat and then you may not loose enough temp to worry about over the mash period.

Hi,
Just getting into all grain and although not too bad the mash tun temp drops a little during mash.
What i was thinking was buying one of these PID. Mounting the thermocouple under the false bottom and connecting this solenoid to the 20 litre Birko to bring it up to temp if it drops more than a degree or two.
Any idea if this would work?
Obviously i'd put a ball valve tap on the solenoid to find a happy medium between temp adjustment and flow rate.
Thanks.

Back