Keeping More Than One Fermenter At The correct Temperature.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael_aussie

Reaction score
I usually ferment three batches together in my fermenting fridge.

My problem is, when the three fermenters arent all the same temperature.
Even if I am careful about how much hot and cold water I add, to actually get all 3 within a degree is hard.

Currently, I then measure the three fermenters starting temperatures, and let the majority decide whether to heat/chill/do nothing at the start. I then mount the temp probe of my controller against the wall of one of the majority. After a day or so, they are usually all within a degree.

Ive seen other peoples fermenter fridges with different zones to enable differential temp control. Im not keen to set up like that, so I was wondering what everyone else does??

I've only done 2 at the same time, but I put the probe between the 2 FVs so it's touching both and lash them together tightly, then frap in between the FVs with a strip of bubble wrap or some other insulation.

Works pretty well, but I can see that being difficult to fit together with 3 FVs. Plus it doesn't really solve the problem of different starting temps, just hopefully averages from both at the same time.

How big are the fridges u guys use??? I cant imagine fitting a carbouy bigger than 60 Ltr in my fridge?????

How big are the fridges u guys use??? I cant imagine fitting a carbouy bigger than 60 Ltr in my fridge?????
from memory, my fermenting fridge is 500l.
It will fit 4 fermenters (2 on the floor, and 2 on a shelf = without airlocks .. but no problem as I glad wrap).

I have two 400L all-fridges

Will easily take a 60L, a 100L or 2 30s

Would be able to put a bunch of Jerrys in and at least 6 kegs

Truth be told they're a bit big, don't need that much room for a 60 or 2x30, a 300L would probably be better

A small fan to circulate the air might help.

This.

Your other option is to run the fridge at ~4C and then have three temperature controllers and three heat belts individually controlling each fermenter. Not only will you get precision control, but this way if one finishes fermenting early, you only need to disconnect it for cold conditioning rather than move your others out or wait until the others are finished also.

The downside is obviously setup cost, and the cost of running a fridge that's struggling to keep cool while there's 70 odd litres of 18C liquid mass in there.

I just use a cut off corny pickup tube sealed at one end and stick the probe into it so that it is actually sitting deep in the beer.

And I put the 'control' fermenter in the very middle of the 5 I can fit in my fridge.

There is about a 1 degree swing in all the fermenters before either the fridge kicks in or the fan heather gently starts to heat them back up.

DSC04084.jpg

Got it for a steal too....

A small fan to circulate the air might help.

I did a test in mine a while back and had variation between my fermentors. A 120mm pc fan mounted blowing the air between both got the temp diff within 1 degree.

I would not be too worried if they are a couple of degrees different when you put them in there. Just get the air moving as quickly as you can and all will be good.

QldKev

I just use a cut off corny pickup tube sealed at one end and stick the probe into it so that it is actually sitting deep in the beer.

And I put the 'control' fermenter in the very middle of the 5 I can fit in my fridge.

There is about a 1 degree swing in all the fermenters before either the fridge kicks in or the fan heather gently starts to heat them back up.

DSC04084.jpg

Got it for a steal too....
awesome set up there ... looks ideal for bulk fermenting

I did a test in mine a while back and had variation between my fermentors. A 120mm pc fan mounted blowing the air between both got the temp diff within 1 degree.

I would not be too worried if they are a couple of degrees different when you put them in there. Just get the air moving as quickly as you can and all will be good.

QldKev
ty kev .. and others ... i glad I asked the initial question ... I don't feel so concerned now.

Back