Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catcher

Reaction score
Guys and Gals I am opening my own brewery shortly. What I would like to do is brew a beer called Karma. The point of this product is simple, people can buy the product to give to friends who deserve some good Karma.

100% of the profits will be donated to local community groups or charities. Alternatively we will give away 6 packs to those doing it tough or also deserve some good Karma
I am asking for advice, what recipe would people suggest? Something that is a crowd pleaser.

I am more of a distiller then a brewer so recipe development not my strongest point.

Slightly anal and probably unwelcome but the concept of karma is often totally misunderstood by westerners.

Good of you to be considering charities rather than profits though so I have no wish to piss on your parade on that front. Your question however is as long as a piece of string.
You want a mass appeal beer, an easy drinking beer or a different/creative beer, etc?
Crowd pleaser is a wide avenue.

Sounds like a very generous offering. I probably wouldn't cook up anything too unusual if it's going to be a beer given to mates or whoever. But I wouldn't make a Carlton Draught clone either :) Somewhere in between really. I get the impression its going to have to have some widespread appeal. I don't have a recipe but you won't go far wrong with a good solid IPA of some description in my opinion.

It also depends on what time of year it is scheduled for release.
Summer - lighter apa/golden ale/ summer ale, new world pilsner/pale lager or trad pale lager/pilsner. Driving beer -flavourful light, english mild or ordinary bitter.
Appealing to micro brew drinkers or macro brew drinkers? Look at what other types are successful and look for holes in the market as well.

Ok so yeah it's a pretty wide open question, but still keen on what beer people reckon :)

This is my way of repaying the good deeds that people have done for me with no expectation of reward, plus the countless people I see regularly doing selfless tasks. It's not much but I hope it brightens someone's day.

Hey catcher. Great, generous idea.

Crowd pleaser = pacific ale (namely Stone and Wood's version).

It's a lighter sessionable beer but has a strong fruity hops flavour. Ideal for warmer months, but everyone still drinks it in winter too.
Probably one of the most popular beers among the HB scene that will still be consumed by the mega swill crowd (eg: Feral Hop Hog may be more loved among HBrs, but no mega swiller would touch something that bitter).

How's that sound?
There a few recipes for SWPA clones on here, namely Daemon's Sticks and Stones to give you a guide.

2c

technobabble66 said:
Hey catcher. Great, generous idea.

Crowd pleaser = pacific ale (namely Stone and Wood's version).

It's a lighter sessionable beer but has a strong fruity hops flavour. Ideal for warmer months, but everyone still drinks it in winter too.
Probably one of the most popular beers among the HB scene that will still be consumed by the mega swill crowd (eg: Feral Hop Hog may be more loved among HBrs, but no mega swiller would touch something that bitter).

How's that sound?
There a few recipes for SWPA clones on here, namely Daemon's Sticks and Stones to give you a guide.

2c
That's what I'm talking about :)

I will give that recipe a crack

catcher said:
That's what I'm talking about :)

I will give that recipe a crack
Not to imply that they own the name or concept or anything, but Stone & Wood already do monthly Karma Kegs for local groups: <http://stoneandwood.com.au/ingrained/>. Just something you might want to be aware of if you go down the Pacific Ale style route.

In any case, +1 good on you for thinking about supporting your community at the outset.

I'd recommend an American style blonde ale. 4 - 5 % alc. A good intro beer for craft brew noobs and yet still acceptable and very quaffable to all tastes (even for some who don't like beer)
60 min boil hops, and yet the hops come through in the flavour and aroma.

Not only good karma (or something) for the receiver, but a good word about your own operations whenever it gets a mention.

My 2 cents has now expired

Latest posts

Back