K&k Recipie For Heiniken?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHB

All Grain All The Time
Reaction score
just looking for a recipie for heniken? cheers and beers ben

I think the closest you'd get with a K&K is to grab yourself a reasonable euro lager kit like the Cooper's Bavarian. I'd probably add nothing more than a kilo of Cooper's BE2 and maybe a Morgans hallertau (or other noble) hops teabag.

Ferment with a lager yeast like w-34/70 at 10 degrees if you've got temp control, otherwise, I'd go for a clean ale yeast like US-05 fermented as cold as possible - preferably around 16 degrees.

Carbonate high and condition long.

Generic Larger (Heini)
1.7kg can of Lager
600g LDME [light dried malt extract]
200g Dextrose
200g Maltodextron [could be replaced by LDME]
12g Tettnanger hops soaked in a cup of boiling water for 12 minutes then thrown in water and all.
Saflager yeast [S23]

I think the closest you'd get with a K&K is to grab yourself a reasonable euro lager kit like the Cooper's Bavarian. I'd probably add nothing more than a kilo of Cooper's BE2 and maybe a Morgans hallertau (or other noble) hops teabag.

Ferment with a lager yeast like w-34/70 at 10 degrees if you've got temp control, otherwise, I'd go for a clean ale yeast like US-05 fermented as cold as possible - preferably around 16 degrees.

Carbonate high and condition long.

I'd second that. Coopers Bavarian is an economical choice too as it actually comes with a true lager yeast.

i came close many years ago with the country brewer recipe if it helps

To replicate the beer:

Buy several hectares of real estate in the Netherlands on the outskirts of Amsterdam and then spend a billion dollars on a modern high tech brewery................ B)

However to be practical, you are not going to get a good approximation of Heineken with most kits or extracts because you need a very light clear beer with some malt aroma, a distinct hop aroma and that European sulphury 'snatch' that comes from the lager yeast and the lagering process. Most kits and extracts are going to give a bit of a muddy and isohop flavour that is not going to give the sharp 'freshness'.
Having said that, probably the way to go with a kit is to get the mildest blandest kit such as a Canadian Blonde, and go to work on that:

• A good lager yeast such as W-34/70 fermented at 12 degrees for a couple of weeks then lagered in the fridge for another couple of weeks
  • Boost the kit with some euro hops such as 20g Hallertauer or Saaz
  • Steep 300g Carapils and boil the hops in the runnings
  • As well as the kit, use malt extract instead of sugar, but definitely not LDME that can cause chill haze, use a can of extra light liquid malt extract
Should get something acceptable

Also, FYI..

Heineken in Australia (made by Lion Nathan) tastes nothing like Heineken in Europe. Well, at least I reckon so.

I stand by my suggestions in post 2. Too much malt - particularly extract - will not ferment out fully. I'd hazard a guess the resulting beer will be much sweeter than heineken.

I'd go a Lager kit, BE2, small steep of noble hops and lager yeast. We're talking a simple commercial lager here. Keep it simple.

Edit: Lager yeast at the proper temp. Neutral ale yeast is the way forward if you can't manage a ferment temp of 11-12.

I agree... simple is best.... but I think the achieve the dry crispness of a lager you really need a lager yeast.

US-05 fermented cold might go about half way... or even CPA yeast but perhaps too fruity.

Coopers Cervaza, BE2, 10min hop boil of saaz or tettnang, etc. S-189 yeast @ 10C. Should be very clean after 2 weeks.

Back