Just Wonderin

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudsmcduff

Reaction score
hey guys im a young bloke(22) that has done about two going on three brews and dont know that much. i have just found this site and already its been helpfull just so i know whats going on you cant trust the yeast that you get from your tin? and the temps that they say are to high well maybe not for the stuff they give you but either way any thing you can tell me to help my brews would be great. and also how do i get the fruty flavour out of the beer (already using dextrose) cheers

read through the relevant links in my sig, and that should answer most of your initial questions....then ask for clarification, if needed.

read through the relevant links in my sig, and that should answer most of your initial questions....then ask for clarification, if needed.

+1 The threads and articles butters has got in his signature cover all the basics of brewing and will set you on the right track for sure!

If there is anything else you need to find the answers to, use the search function (on the top RHS of the screen just below the sponsors banner) to look up previous threads and posts to see if someone else has already answered your questions. Once you've exhausted your options there, feel free to post up a new thread and get some advice from other forum members!

Welcome to AHB mactain and I hope your brewing serves you well! :chug:
BTW - Keeping the temps down will help keep the cidery/fruity tang out of your beers for sure. Good luck with it!

cheers guys been very helpful but the two brews that i bottled i have tried they have a head when i pour but then soon disapears one i used sugar to prime the bottles but the seconed i used carbonation drops the sugar seems to be better (as im drinkin one now) what do you guy think????

Jeebers, that Butters character seems to be a prolific writer.... :unsure:

The majority of head issues, for bottled beer (kegged beer has another whole set of problems) is glass related. If you clean your glasses as described in the bottom of that article, then you can eliminate that particular variable. That is the best (and easiest) starting point. Like any problem, elimination of the variables one by one will reveal the answer. ;)

Temperature control, temperature control temperature control.

I've been brewing grain beers, not kits or extracts, for 8 months now and still occasionally fall into the trap of pitching yeast at 21 degrees, thinking she'll be right and it should drop to 18 cause the nights are cool here, then next morning the brew is up to 25 and I have to wrestle it back down again. And a fine beer made from the best of ingredients turns out with severe banana or phenol twang. Bugger.

Best advice is to ferment below 20 degrees with your kit beers, preferably no hotter than 18 and you will make a far better drop.

a little bit too prolific if you ask me...

ps. +1 for the bicarb vinegar cleaning

Temperature control, temperature control temperature control.

I've been brewing grain beers, not kits or extracts, for 8 months now and still occasionally fall into the trap of pitching yeast at 21 degrees, thinking she'll be right and it should drop to 18 cause the nights are cool here, then next morning the brew is up to 25 and I have to wrestle it back down again. And a fine beer made from the best of ingredients turns out with severe banana or phenol twang. Bugger.

Best advice is to ferment below 20 degrees with your kit beers, preferably no hotter than 18 and you will make a far better drop.

Keep it clean and temp control and a good yeast.. MMMMMMMM :icon_chickcheers:

a little bit too prolific if you ask me...

ps. +1 for the bicarb vinegar cleaning

I'll just stop writing articles, then, shall I? No-one seems to read the bloody things anyway.

(insert emoticon which doesn't exist, to show how annoyed I really get, and how completely lacking any sense of humour I can be when gutted by comments like this, regardless of if you meant it to be funny or not.)

I'll just stop writing articles, then, shall I? No-one seems to read the bloody things anyway.

(insert emoticon which doesn't exist, to show how annoyed I really get, and how completely lacking any sense of humour I can be when gutted by comments like this, regardless of if you meant it to be funny or not.)

Mate i'll often scan through the topics and if i see that Butters has the last post I will read that thread to see if I can pick up on any tips. Keep up the good work!!

Cheers Brad

Mctain,

Try adding your location to your profile, and you may get some local guys offering to show you how they brew (and maybe try their stuff).

one thing (too prolific)how do you mean sir and what do you mean when you say +1 for the bicarb vinegar cleaning isnt that for makeing volcanos

If you do that I'll stop brewing. I often link noobs to many of those articles in your signature and have read a number of them.

I reckon it was just a dig in the ribs but regardless - your articles and general responses are informative and helpful.

Can always just ignore the trolls eventually they get the message and clear off .

one thing (too prolific)how do you mean sir and what do you mean when you say +1 for the bicarb vinegar cleaning isnt that for makeing volcanos

If you clean your glasses properly and use a vinegar or vinegar bicarb solution it helps improve the head. This is detailed in the link Butters spoke of but is only really appropriate when you have left your beer the required amount of time.

Volcanas are made with magma.

arr i see will try that next time nothing worse than a beer with no head, than a pub with no beer. One thing i have found arfter lowering the temp on my brew(i had a heat pad with a blanket around it) but no longer have the blanket, it is easyer to keep the temp more regulated big plus. i have an old fridge in my shed that im thinkin of using should work out well
cheers guys :icon_drunk:

cheers Thirsty Boy some very very helpful hints and tips in that will help me out greatly :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back