Just watching

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamie72

Reaction score
I did my first BIAB on the weekend, I can't help it, I keep going into the garage grabbing a chair and just watching it bubble. I just want it to hurry up so I can bottle and try the bloody thing. However there is something peaceful and hypnotic about just watching it bubble away............

I certainly hope you had a beer at the same time, it's compulsory.

jamie72 said:
I did my first BIAB on the weekend, I can't help it, I keep going into the garage grabbing a chair and just watching it bubble. I just want it to hurry up so I can bottle and try the bloody thing. However there is something peaceful and hypnotic about just watching it bubble away............

Sounds perfectly normal.

Congrats on your first BIAB.

I reckon that's why many yanks ferment in glass carboys. Those things are ridiculously heavy, usually have no tap, and a pissy little opening at the top, all of which make them a huge pain in the ass as a fermenter. BUT...you can pull up a chair and watch magic happen, better than a fish tank any day!

Especially when you get the snowstorm of a furious fermentation. Hypnotic, like watching an open fire.

OP, if it gets to the point where you are watching your kegs carbonate, then it's probably time to hang up the mash paddle for a while. Until then :beerbang:

Cheers,
D80

Probably more exciting than some of the crap on TV

What happened to the days when you could flick on the telly and watch a TV drama, or a movie, or something involving some sort of fictitious storyline. Now we've hours upon hours of BS "reality" rubbish. I must be getting old, I sound like my father. :lol:

Midday movie most days.......normally a John Wayne flick or something equally fantastic. Those were the days bosh for sure and certain. Now all you get is some pompous B grade fool upping kids about cooking, or singing or some other crap. I here they're bringing back the NRL on Saturday arvos next year so that's a plus and two ashes series this year!

Yeah, Sunday afternoon family movie, I used to love those things, especially on a cold winters day with the fire roaring. :)

I used to love Cricket, but nowadays watching our boys (I hate the name Blackcaps by the way, what's wrong with New Zealand?) is like watching a very long and painful tooth extraction. Fond memories of Hadlee, Crow, Rutherford, Cairns (Lance) etc...

I'm over the Rugby too, and everybody doing the bloody haka at the drop of a hat.

OMG, I DO sound like my father!!! :blink:

Watching & listening! If you drown at all background noise and really concentrate, you can hear the fermentation. It's a little like static or white noise and yet there is a pattern or rhythm present. You can hear each yeast organism munching down that sugar and excreting goodness.

024.JPG

I've got my heavy ass glassboy in the bedroom atm. Those buggers are enjoying the heat inside.
Of course, it's in a red milk crate to make it go faster.

Latest posts

Back