just started

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
all grain think i it can be done with the 20 lt pot and fermenter for the mash.

Mash temp needs to be kept stable for the hour - thats why most guides recommend mashing into the pot and then wrapping the pot in a doona, sleeping bag or towels to try and insulate the lidded pot to maintain temp range.

Yob said:
You're not interested to see how he does with a decoction step mash?
I think we'll get there in time yob - it may crash a few web servers in the process.

boil size: .i think i would try for the smallest amount of water to mash with then boil the small amount of wort add to the fermenter then add the rest from the tap. not the whole 30 lt boil point for the 27 lt fermenter

When I started all grain I did half sized batches that fitted in the 20 litre pot. It was a lot less stressful than trying to boil and cool 30 litre batches first up.

the fermenter would hold the whole 6 kg to 8 kg of grains though should not be to much water to drain .say 8kg grain same as 8 lt on the fermeter level. then about 8 more water on top like 16lt mark ones it absorbs should only be about 10 lt left of warm wart.

say add 15 lt water left with 10 lt wort 23 on the fermenter

thinking i like wee heavy then! the stock pot still their it is no delivery or pick up from big w maybe have to go in their store and see if they do even.no postage or pick up

next week some time can order the grain then see some how if big w has one anyway might just be for some store not the store i go to .ring them tomorrow and ask

Alf, for our own peace of mind, run through your all grain brew day for us so we can check you're on the right track. 8kg of grain is going to make a very strong 23L batch of beer, if done correctly.

kerrplease said:
grains for wee
This works on many levels.

-If you are planning to mash in the fermenter, go to spotlight (or the like) and buy two metres or so of "swiss voile", line the inside of your fermenter with this (think of it like a giant tea bag to hold your grains in).

If you just add grains to your fermenter and plan on the tap to drain it, you are going to plug it up with grains in no time, you still might have to lift the bag slightly before you drain or I'm not convinced you still might not get a blockage/stuck mash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back