Just put down something interesting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forever Wort

Reaction score
I brewed this morning; all done by 10AM..

I have never mixed wheat, rye and barley in this way and I have never used a saison yeast. The saison ale I had at the Mountain Goat brewery a few weeks ago was delicious and really encouraged me to give it a shot.

Through rough estimation this beer is something like 20% rye malt, 50% wheat malt and 30% barley malt, I think.

Wheat Barley Rye Saison.

2x Coopers Wheat LME
1x Briess Rye LME

1kg Caramel Wheat (steeped 30 mins)

Mosaic 25g @ 40 mins
Mosaic 15g @ 20 mins
Mosaic 10g @ Flame out

Belle Saison yeast. OG 1065.

Can't wait. There is going to be a lot new to taste in this brew: I've never used Mosaic, never used a saison yeast and never brewed with such a high concentration of non-barley malt. It was expensive at $55 for ingredients but hopefully will be worth it.

I don't mean to piss on your parade...

Cara Wheat Malt

Characteristics
Cara Wheat is type of Crystal (caramel) malt produced from Wheat rather than Barley by the Weyermann malting group. The process darkens the wheat malt (from 3L to 38-53L) and produces nonfermentable sugars. The roasting process produces a caramel, roast, moderately sweet flavor in addition to keeping the mouthfeel properties of the base wheat malt.
Cara Wheat is a great malt for darker wheat-based beers (Schwartzbier, Dunkelweizen) and can be a good adjunct in small proportions (say 10%) to add mouthfeel to non-wheat-based beers like Brown Beers, Belgian Dubbel, and maybe even a Pale Ale/IPA in smaller amounts.

Umm, 1kg is what I would term a metric shit-tonne of any crystal / caramel malt.

Good luck! :chug:

sounds interesting, I haven't really gotten into Saisons maybe I need to try a few more...

my mate correctly informed me the other week that coopers wheat LME (and most wheat extracts) are actually a mix of regular malt and wheat malt. Depends on the maker for the exact ratio but IIRC it could be 60:40 malt to wheat or similar. Anyone else feel free to chime in

pretty sure Coopers wheat is 50/50.
Agree with the Caramel Wheat addition, I think its going to be very sweet and full bodied for a saison.
But you don't know if you don't try, just may be an expensive lesson. One reason why it can be good to run an experimental idea past the masses before diving in.
Hope it turns out all right.

Saison yeast is pretty hungry and durable, but I think even it would struggle with ~20% xtal.

Let us know how it turns out nonetheless. Worst case scenario is that you've made a pretty sweet brew and have learnt for next time..

yum beer said:
pretty sure Coopers wheat is 50/50.
Agree with the Caramel Wheat addition, I think its going to be very sweet and full bodied for a saison.
But you don't know if you don't try, just may be an expensive lesson. One reason why it can be good to run an experimental idea past the masses before diving in.
Hope it turns out all right.
Yes, Coopers Wheat is 50/50, Briess Rye is 65% Rye / 35% Barley.

Visible/audible fermentation has stopped after a week, will bottle next Sunday. Warnings in this thread noted !!!

A friend and I gave it a shot the other night - wow, it sure is sweet.

But to be honest, I don't mind it. I couldn't drink more than a long neck of it per sitting but because it is 7.2% ABV that's not a problem.

You were all correct - it is too sweet - but I appreciate the difference in flavour from the other beers I've done, and now I have a super sweet brew to age and give to the sweet-toothed lady visitors (only two bottles of the carrot beer left). However, I would not brew it again.

:ph34r:

What were you thinking putting that amount of the caramel wheat into it? :huh:

Clearly what I was thinking isn't the issue ... rather the absence of thinking!

:huh:

The recipe tab at the top of the page is a good place to check any 'IDEAS' you have against existing recipes.

The only thing I can think of to do with your beer is to take the caps off and cover with glad wrap so as to let them go flat, and then mix in a suitable proportion with some straight malt extract and maybe some more hops. Which is to say it could be diluted.

We've all made crap beer, myself included. :ph34r:

At least with an OG of 1065 you'll be thinking...
Schooner 1: "son of a gun, overdid it with the cara"
Schooner 4: "this shit's awesome, what the hell does AHB know anyway?"

Yob said:
WTF??

You been out in the sun again hoppy?

Dude.. Wear a hat ffs...
There's your answer, you may be able to get Yob to drink it. :icon_drool2:

Perfect use for this beer: brew some bone dry cider with some champagne yeast and blend into the glass.

Forever Wort said:

I have never mixed wheat, rye and barley in this way and I have never used a saison yeast. The saison ale I had at the Mountain Goat brewery a few weeks ago was delicious and really encouraged me to give it a shot.

Through rough estimation this beer is something like 20% rye malt, 50% wheat malt and 30% barley malt, I think.

Wheat Barley Rye Saison.

2x Coopers Wheat LME
1x Briess Rye LME

Mosaic 25g @ 40 mins
Mosaic 15g @ 20 mins
Mosaic 10g @ Flame out

Can't wait. There is going to be a lot new to taste in this brew: I've never used Mosaic, never used a saison yeast and never brewed with such a high concentration of non-barley malt. It was expensive at $55 for ingredients but hopefully will be worth it.

Forever Wort said:

Wheat Barley Rye Saison.

2x Coopers Wheat LME
1x Briess Rye LME

Mosaic 25g @ 40 mins
Mosaic 15g @ 20 mins
Mosaic 10g @ Flame out

So how many litres did you make it up to?

practicalfool said:
Perfect use for this beer: brew some bone dry cider with some champagne yeast and blend into the glass.
Yeah, you beat me to it. I was just thinking that yesterday.

It should become less sweet when aged for a month or two. A 50/50 mix with a pale ale with no caramel grains in it may be the go.
I'm not sure which grain he's used but it could be similar to a medium crystal, and 500 grams of medium crystal goes into the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone.

Yob said:
From the OP

1kg Caramel Wheat (steeped 30 mins
Yeah, I was looking on the Beer Belly site and there is a Carawheat on there if I recall correctly.

Latest posts

Back