Just how DO you get that juicy IPA taste and aroma?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
9. Allow caps to sit loose for a while before capping off

Where did this idea come from? It doesn't make any sense. If anything, you'll just get more O2 ingress under the loose cap. There isn't enough dissolved CO2 in the beer that you can knock out to displace the O2 in the small headspace.
Doing that isn't adding anything, and is possibly making things worse...

Cold crashed every batch I've done for the last 5 years and never had any oxidation problems or beers losing massive amounts of hop aroma and flavor in very short periods of time. They might drop off a little by the time I get to the last few glasses of a batch, but otherwise the beers are fine. What the hell are you guys doing? I honestly don't believe cold crashing causes oxidised beer, maybe I'm wrong and I'd be happy to be corrected with some scientific data, but if it does increase the O2 level in the beer, it's never affected my beers, at least not to my palate. They've all been perfectly fine.

Cold crashed every batch I've done for the last 5 years and never had any oxidation problems or beers losing massive amounts of hop aroma and flavor in very short periods of time. They might drop off a little by the time I get to the last few glasses of a batch, but otherwise the beers are fine. What the hell are you guys doing? I honestly don't believe cold crashing causes oxidised beer, maybe I'm wrong and I'd be happy to be corrected with some scientific data, but if it does increase the O2 level in the beer, it's never affected my beers, at least not to my palate. They've all been perfectly fine.
+1

5. Dry hop during primary fermentation to allow the hops to stir through and avoid oxidation

To clarify - do this after the bulk of fermentation is complete, i.e - 75% of the way. Too early, and you'll risk a super hazy beer by proteins and hop oils (think NEIPA) binding. Not only that, but any aroma added to the beer is likely to be blown off by rigorous co2 production.

5. Dry hop during primary fermentation to allow the hops to stir through and avoid oxidation
To clarify - do this after the bulk of fermentation is complete, i.e - 75% of the way. Too early, and you'll risk a super hazy beer by proteins and hop oils (think NEIPA) binding.
While haziness may occur it won't be permanent or necessarily even long-term. A few days crashing drops out the sediment in my experience. I've dropped 8g/L in at the start of primary and the beer was clearing too much to be called a NEIPA within a fortnight (to my bemusement as I was planning to enter it as a NEIPA in a comp).

Not only that, but any aroma added to the beer is likely to be blown off by rigorous co2 production.
My discussions with pro brewers and research at home does not support this theory. My last XPA can fill a room with piney citrus aromas, and the only 2 hop additions it received were 5g/L at flameout and at yeast pitch.

Not only that, but any aroma added to the beer is likely to be blown off by rigorous co2 production.

My discussions with pro brewers and research at home does not support this theory. My last XPA can fill a room with piney citrus aromas, and the only 2 hop additions it received were 5g/L at flameout and at yeast pitch.

I'm with you here @fdsaasdf. Anecdotally, I've done a beer that was only dry hopped at the first signs of fermentation. It had quite a persistant aroma from the galaxy that didn't even die down after a month and a half in the keg

A few days crashing drops out sediment, but in my experience haze takes a lot longer to drop out on its own, and I wouldn't really class it as sediment.

I usually dry hop when I cold crash a batch or a couple of days before, seems to work fine.

I'm with you here @fdsaasdf. Anecdotally, I've done a beer that was only dry hopped at the first signs of fermentation. It had quite a persistant aroma from the galaxy that didn't even die down after a month and a half in the keg
this is consistent with my findings, having said that iam only going on about 3 months experience, at the moment iam inclined to dryhop for the entire primary process, then crash cool and keg, i also found placing the hop pellets in multiple bags increases the flavour, i think i will try without bags next time?

^ ^ ^ I've just done a NEIPA and can attest to the facts that aromatic outcomes from adding hops to ferment during high krausen ~ 48hrs in, results in excellent aroma for the beer.

I will be definately using this technique for any hop forward beer.

this is consistent with my findings, having said that iam only going on about 3 months experience, at the moment iam inclined to dryhop for the entire primary process, then crash cool and keg, i also found placing the hop pellets in multiple bags increases the flavour, i think i will try without bags next time?

Yeah, piss the bags off. They only restrict distribution of hop oils, and add another avenue for contamination

^ ^ ^ I've just done a NEIPA and can attest to the facts that aromatic outcomes from adding hops to ferment during high krausen ~ 48hrs in, results in excellent aroma for the beer.

I will be definately using this technique for any hop forward beer.

Hey dan
Did you cold crash that neipa? Don’t want to loose the murkiness that is characteristic of this style.
Cheers
Nark

darn it you blokes, i really need to get a dark bitter english ale in to satisfy my beer engine supply but with all these different methods of dry hopping to try i just wanna try a NEIPA style now.:question:

Last edited:
darn it you blokes, i really need to get a dark bitter english ale in to satisfy my beer engine supply but with all these different methods of dry hopping to try i just wanna try a NEIPA style now.:question:
I can't think of any worse style than NEIPA to go through a beer engine. Me, I love my beer engine.
KH7OdCJ.jpg

Hey dan
Did you cold crash that neipa? Don’t want to loose the murkiness that is characteristic of this style.
Cheers
Nark
Just drop the temp from 22c down to 16c before packaging. Still very cloudy.

IMG_20180129_060748_677.jpg

no offence but I'm just going to roll my eyes right now... kids these days...

Wtf, being a knob gets you no votes. We all start somewhere and just because I have less knowledge than you shouldn’t mean you have to be a smart ass. I’ll bet you started as a rookie dumbo too. If you have nothing constructive to say shut the **** up.
Enough said by me.

I can't think of any worse style than NEIPA to go through a beer engine. Me, I love my beer engine.
KH7OdCJ.jpg
I agree. What i meant was what goes into the fermenter next. By the way love your hunting scene handle.

Wtf, being a knob gets you no votes. We all start somewhere and just because I have less knowledge than you shouldn’t mean you have to be a smart ass. I’ll bet you started as a rookie dumbo too. If you have nothing constructive to say shut the **** up.
Enough said by me.

geez lighten up @markp.

@Coodgee was more likley having a crack at me for making a NEIPA and only slightly at you for using the word murkiness when describing a beer.

if you like using Munich malt you and Coodgee will be besties.

Back