Just how DO you get that juicy IPA taste and aroma?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Conjecture about what story?

I believe he's referring to the legend of IPA. Legend has it that it was first made to last the long, hot journey all the way from England to India if you haven't heard. Modern day breweries like Pirate Life treat their beer like milk though because they know heat spoils the product rather quickly

How do I know this? Well I was just chatting with Pirate about this and they've said to me: There's no way I'd drink your beer. Take from that way you will

As DrMcB just said, the origin of the IPA is disputed in many circles. Anyway that's a discussion for another thread.

IPA stands for India Pale Ale. It was indeed brewed to survive the long hot journey to India.

This fact was questioned in another thread a few weeks ago and all the evidence posted in it confirmed this.

The confusion seemed to stem from another obvious fact, that it wasn’t the first time strong hoppy ales had been brewed. It wasn’t a new invention.

Thought I'd post an article by John Palmer I'm reading since it's so fitting. Hoping it's legible. Cheers!

Attachments

• 20180130_161530.jpg
    20180130_161530.jpg
    718.3 KB · Views: 82
My ridiculously hopped apa with just pale and wheat (no crystal) was amazing one week after bottling and now, one month later has become almost an amber ale with very little hop aroma...
:(
Must be oxidation.
I don't see myself redoing the experiment in the near future... I have plenty of pirate life cans nearby...

Ps I bottle conditioned in the fermenter fridge at 19℃ , I did everything as told and I used Amarillo and citra (low cohumulone)

I've only had this issue with the dry hopped beers by the way

My ridiculously hopped apa with just pale and wheat (no crystal) was amazing one week after bottling and now, one month later has become almost an amber ale with very little hop aroma...
:(
Must be oxidation.
I don't see myself redoing the experiment in the near future... I have plenty of pirate life cans nearby...

Now hold on a minute man. You're so very close, don't give up now! Go back and read through or post your process here and we'll see if we can critique it. My last pale was Pirate to a T and seemed to get even hoppier with time for once!

My tips:

1. Use only FRESH hops. If they smell a little bit old that's exactly what you're going to end up with. What goes in, also comes out.

2. Use Mangrove Jacks M44 yeast. This has been a real improvement over US05 for me. It's so much nicer. I'm willing to firego tge long lag times for the end result

3. Use mostly late hops

4. Dry hop at around 5g p/litre

5. Dry hop during primary fermentation to allow the hops to stir through and avoid oxidation

6. Don't splash hot wort

7. Aerate well once cold

8. Don't splash at bottling

9. Allow caps to sit loose for a while before capping off

10. Store bottles cool

You can do this man

Now hold on a minute man. You're so very close, don't give up now! Go back and read through or post your process here and we'll see if we can critique it. My last pale was Pirate to a T and seemed to get even hoppier with time for once!

My tips:

1. Use only FRESH hops. If tgey smell a little bit old that's exactly what you're going to ebd up with. What goes in comes out.

2. Use Mangrove Jacks M44 yeast. This has been a real improvement over US05 for me. It's so much nicer. I'm willing to firego tge long lag times for the end result

3. Use mostly late hops

4. Dry hop at around 5g p/litre

5. Dry hop during primary fermentation to allow the hops to stir through and avoid oxidation

6. Don't splash hot wort

7. Aerate well once cold

8. Don't splash at bottling

9. Allow caps to sit loose for a while before capping off

You can do this man

The only things I didn't do as you said were :
-i used us5
-I did two dry hops, one after 4 days and a second one after 7 (for 3 days more)
Next time I will dry hop after 4 days only for 6 days... And I'll drink it all after one week of bottle condition. I will make the apa party ! Jejeje

Did you also cold crash?

Opening the lid on a fermenter after primary lets alot of carbon dioxide out and alot of oxygen in. Just how much is taken up by the liquid isn't clearly known but the evidence also clearly points to oxidation or at least a beer not as aromatic as it could have been

How do I know this? Wellllll

Ps, I've been dry hopping day two or three with the best results I've ever had. No reason to change anytime soon unless there's good reason not to

Did you also cold crash?

Opening the lid on a fermenter after primary lets alot of carbon dioxide out and alot of oxygen in. Just how much is taken up by the liquid isn't clearly known but the evidence also clearly points to oxidation or at least a beer not as aromatic as it could have been

How do I know this? Wellllll
Yes , I cold crash to 3℃ for only 24h, just to help the major part of the sediments to settle down , I didn't do a full cold crash.
I put all the details in another post.

Ps, I've been dry hopping day two or three with the best results I've ever had. No reason to change anytime soon unless there's good reason not to
Day 2 seems too soon to me, but I will give a try to the day 3 dry hop for 5-6 days..

I believe cooling liquid absorbs more oxygen. Don't quote me on this and hopefully someone can either confirm or dismiss but cooling beer helps bottled products absorb carbonation from the headspace so can't see this being any different

Cold crashing also has a second pitfall, being shrinkage pulls more oxygen through the airlock.

All I know is that since watching these steps I don't seem to have a problem anymore

Amarillo
Cascade
Bravo is the best.

Ahtanum
Hallertauer
Bobek sucks as a cimbo
Love amarillo

(8)Chupame la minga dominga que vengo de Franciaaaa! Chupame la minga dominga que llevo sustanciaaaa!(8)

Latest posts

Back