Just how DO you get that juicy IPA taste and aroma?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey dan
Did you cold crash that neipa? Don’t want to loose the murkiness that is characteristic of this style.
Cheers
Nark

If you lose the haze in your NEIPA from cold crashing, then you're getting the haze from the wrong things. It shouldn't be yeast haze, etc. that will drop out with crashing. A cold crash is good for them to drop all of that hop matter from the massive dry hops out of suspension.
Having experienced a repeatedly clogged poppet from a non-cold crashed one, I'll never repeat the mistake again

P.S. To be pedantic, you want it to be hazy, not murky! Hazy can still have a lovely brilliant colour, murkiness just makes it look like dam water :barf:

Wtf, being a knob gets you no votes. We all start somewhere and just because I have less knowledge than you shouldn’t mean you have to be a smart ass. I’ll bet you started as a rookie dumbo too. If you have nothing constructive to say shut the **** up.
Enough said by me.

not meant to be a dig at you mate. Just a general crack at the "haze craze" that I like to poke fun at.

not meant to be a dig at you mate. Just a general crack at the "haze craze" that I like to poke fun at.

No probs, like I said I’m a newbie here and still have a lot to learn about all grain, a constructive answer would have been appreciated.
Cheers
Mark

Having experienced a repeatedly clogged poppet from a non-cold crashed one, I'll never repeat the mistake again

After getting the same issue a few times, I now remove the poppets from each end and the wort and any bits of hops will get through without blocking.

a butter menthol type taste and smell

Sounds like a fermentation issue to me.

If you're temp controlling your fermentation then bump the temp up to around 20c for a few days once you hit FG. It will help the yeast clean up the diacetyl quicker.

So I've seen many replies regarding dry hopping schedules and I've got a NEIPA in the fridge that's been krausen dry-hoped and had just about hit FG at 22C.

Going to put the final dry hop charge in (Citra, mosaic, azacca) now and wondering about a consensus or recommendations regarding *how*.

IE should I hop sock @22C 3 days
Loose hop @22C
Cold crash hop sock @ 4C 3 days
Loose hop @4C
Cold crash rack to keg and keg hop @4C through conditioning

Anyone done a comparison?

^ just throw them in loose, let them expand and get full contact. Give the fermenter a bump every hour to get them into suspension. After 2 days of bumping they will have fallen out of suspension, then cold crash to 4c for packaging.

Back